Thursday, January 8, 2009

Have you done the "If I had a million dollars" exercise?

The reason I started thinking about this is because I bought a lottery ticket (I really bought 2) the other day. I rarely buy them because I think they are a big waste of my money. I'd rather spend money on something that I can actually use or enjoy. Anyway, I bought them and my fantasy started. Do you do this? I get the ticket and then I start thinking about what I would do with all that money. Catherine, in my office, says that it's worth spending the money just for the fantasy. I think she has a point! When I have bought a ticket in the past, I have always just had my little fantasy in my head. Well, I read or heard somewhere about doing an exercise where you imagine that you have a million (or millions) of dollars and you list what you would do with that money. The point is to figure out what you would really like to do with your life if you didn't have to consider earning a paycheck.

Okay, so I did this in my journal (I LOVE my journal if you didn't already know that).

Soooo...I start listing things like pay off the house and build a new one, pay off the student loan, buy two new vehicles, travel around the U.S., travel to Europe, setup college funds/life funds for the boys, buy new furniture. You know, the usual stuff, right? Then it's time to dig a little deeper. Okay, so if I built a new house that would probably take a year or so. All the debts would be paid off quickly. Even if I went shopping every week for 6 months there is a limit to how many new things we need or even want. Then What???

So I start the bubble brainstorming. You know, you write everything that comes to mind. I was writing things like gardening all the time, reading all the time, volunteering at the boys school, learning new hobbies. Well all that is okay too....but Then What? I've got to have a little more purpose for my life then gardening and shopping.

When I really thought about what I want to do - it is to help people in some way - Women in particular. When I think about how much I've changed and grown since my 20's I'm amazed. Some of the main reasons are because of my faith journey, therapy, reading, learning and becoming a mom.

I guess if I could do anything, I would build a retreat center where women can who need a boost in their life, who are hurting, lost or spiritually bankrupt could come and re-make themselves. I envision it to be a week-long or weekend type retreat center where women would get encouragement from other fantastic women, learn to trust themselves, learn the power of journaling, spend quiet time with God, spend time in nature. How cool would that be? Oh, and the kicker is that if could do it...it would be free or very inexpensive!! I would definitely go to a place like this if I could afford it!

So, the fantasy is over but if I could just do a little of something like this in my real life I know I would be more than fulfilled in so many ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.