Friday, March 20, 2009

Faith Revisited...

I want to expand a little on my previous post. What I've been thinking about this week is how when things aren't going well for me I always turn to God. When I'm depressed, upset, angry, sad or any type of negative emotion I turn to my bible, I search through my library of devotionals to find a reading that applies to my situation, I search online for spiritual resources and of course I pray...A LOT! When I say prayer, I don't mean some religious, sacred time kneeling at an altar. I just mean that I talk to God like I would talk to a friend. I tell Him about my situation and ask Him to help. For me, my talks with God are what usually frees me from the emotion. I don't always get the answer that I'm looking for but the act of conversing with Him sometimes IS the answer.

Are you thinking, "does this crazy woman talk out loud when she is talking to God"? Well, not usually, but there have been times that I have cried out (loud) for His Mercy.

Why am I thinking and blogging about this topic this week? Things are going really well for me right now, but not so much for a dear friend of mine. She struggles with depression, hopelessness and self-loathing. I struggle with these things sometimes too. Don't we all? I don't know all the ways she copes with these struggles, but I'm not sure she sees the Hope that God can give her. It has taken me a long time to see it myself and I'm so thankful I do now. I want to share it with her but I don't know if she wants to hear it.

Below are some of the scriptures I turn to when I need encouragement. When I pray and read scriptures now, I insert my own name and that makes all the difference for me in understanding it and making it my own. You'll see below where I have inserted my name in the scripture. If you haven't ever tried this, go for it and see if it makes any difference for you.

Psalm 46:10: Be Still
Be still and know that I am God

John 14:27: Peace I Leave You
Peace I leave with you, Jackie. My peace I give to you, Jackie. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let not your heart be troubled, Jackie, and do not be afraid.

AND MY FAVE...

Jeremiah 29:11-14: I Have a Plan For You
For I know the plans I have for you, Jackie, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you, Jackie. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you and will bring you, Jackie, back from captivity. Captivity for me means depression, loneliness, anger, frustration, etc...

I hope you find Peace!
Jackie


2 comments:

  1. WOW new picture and new background. Looks good! Have a great weekend, we are going to Malta Bend tomorrow for a blackmsith meeting I'll honk at you when I go through Columbia. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often feel like that as well and I also talk to God , quietly and out loud. It doean't matter if people think I'm crazy, I'm talking to my God.thanks for the scriptures, as I needed them so desperately today. Hugs and God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.