Saturday, December 12, 2009

Your place in the Nativity Scene...


I'm going to a living nativity scene tonight and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it speaks to me about what this season is about in a real way. I think it will be a great way for my family to see what this story is all about...this Christmas story.

Think about your nativity set... or if you're like me you don't have one... so think of one you've seen. Who is there in that set? The Wise Men. The Shepherds. Mary and Joseph. Jesus.

Who were these people that came to see Jesus that night? Is it possible that they were chosen to represent all of us...wherever we may be in our life?

In a recent article, Kay Warren says, the "Shepherds represent the lower end of society...the ones who are just getting by...the ones we can easily overlook and ignore". I would think that today, the Shepherds represent the people who are struggling to put groceries on the table, or maybe they don't have a home because they've lost everything due to a job loss or mental illness. A Shepherd today could be someone who is struggling with an addiction or has no education and is working 2 or 3 jobs just to pay the bills. You probably know some Shepherds or you are one...

"The Wise men were the highly educated and influential and obviously wealthy. The were probably the well respected men in their community. They represent the the ones who have it made". Today's Wise Men and Women have great jobs, beautiful homes, travel a lot, go to the best schools and so on. You know who the Wise Men and Women are in your communities or you are one...

Mary and Joseph. The average man and woman. They were in the middle. Like most of us. No huge struggles but they were chosen by God. Do they represent most of us? I think so. God chose Mary and Joseph for this special position as the parents of Jesus.

Where do you fit in the Nativity? I know where I fit and I know God has a special plan for me.

Next time you look at a Nativity Set this season...think about where you would fit in that scene and why you would have been chosen to go there. There is a reason...God has a plan for you.

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy your participation in a living Nativity Scene. I've never even seen one, but have seen them pictured. Hope it's not too cold. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting insight to the nativity scene! I have never thought about that before. I love going to see living nativities. Enjoy yours & stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a part of a live nativity in my youth (a very long time ago!). Fun, but VERY cold that night. I think I was a shepherd? Of course, I would have rather been an *angel* or the highest honor ~ Mary :) Such a thoughtful post, and I shall ponder what part I would play today. -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like that view on the nativity! i hope you enjoyed participating in the living nativity. what a way to get in the spirit of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very good analogy and lots of food for thought. Thanks, as always!

    Be well! ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.