Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Old Girl Gets A Facelift...

No, not me...although now that I've hit my 40's I may rethink that whole nip and tuck thing...

The real facelift is happening in our old house...there has been a lot of action here in the last few weeks. Our old bathroom has almost been completely remodeled with new ceramic tile and it was finished last week. This week our kitchen floor is being ripped out only to find a LOT of mold and decay. The pesky and not so pleasant scent that I was blaming on the dishwasher has unveiled itself in the floor and subfloor under the refrigerator. The leak is fixed and new ceramic tile floor is going in.

Our house was built in 1968...the same year I was born. Most of the time I don't feel too old but a lot of the time I feel like this house is ancient in all it's 1960's suburban rancher glory. I've decorated around some the retro features of our home and some of the features I think I've decided to keep...like the old swag light in the newly remodeled bathroom. I think it sort of fits with my shabby, french country, primitive look that I've got going on in there (how's that for eclectic?). The swag light and the faux marble counter top will be staying for now since the funds have run out. I have become friends with the old light fixture again since I spent 18 hours painting in there. Yes, 18! I ran into some issues...which is almost always the case with my painting projects.

I wish I had some before photos of the bathroom...just imagine old vinyl floor tiles with moldy subfloor underneath and an unusable shower with many missing pea green tiles and moldy drywall behind it. Oh, and we can't forget the mold growing all around the tops of the walls throughout the whole bathroom. Just lovely!!

This looks much better...






This is what I was looking at out the window for the two days I was painting...foggy and misty weather...perfect interior painting weather I'd say!


16 comments:

  1. wow! We must have similiar taste. We did our master bath last year in this 112 yr old farmhouse and chose the same colors!! I love it. The carmel on the walls looks great in any light.
    You did a fantatic job! Kudos :)
    xo, misha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Misha, it looks great! Well done! Hope you didn't get too cramped up spending 18 hours in the bathroom! : )

    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your redo is absolutely beautiful!

    Our house was built about four years before yours...same year I was born, and boy does it need constant monitoring and tweaking and fixing up. But I love it anyway. You've inspired me to tackle one of about twenty projects that need to get done around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bathroom re-do! It really looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so beautiful!! We're hoping to put new tile in our kitchen in the spring. Hope we won't have problems like yours! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackie, it looks fantastic! And now it will be a place you'll enjoy hanging out in. Our poor old bathroom - ugh. But, unfortunately, there is no beginning or end with our ol' house. Sounds like yours is definitely a keeper and you're making progress. Yay!!

    Great job!! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cozy! I like the colour you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! You've made it delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bathroom looks great! I love when a room is freshly painted. I may have to start painting myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like, i like! i soooo need my bathrooms redone also. i can only imagine under the floors, yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jackie- thanks for your sweet comments on my kitchen! Nice to meet you!

    I've enjoyed reading about your redecorating AND your colors that you're using. I like 'em alot - we're redoing some things in my MIL's house about those colors.

    I'll have to come back and visit some more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is GORGEOUS! Our house was built in 1968 as well and needs an extreme make over! Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Jackie! Thank you so much for rambling over to my blog! Always nice to meet a ShoMe gal blogger. I have read a couple of your blog posts and will be back to catch up on your blog. It feels comfy here :) We did a reno on our masterbath when we bought our house in '05 and our shower tile is very similar. Your bath looks very pretty and comfy. I will be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you have made some wonderful changes - nice work! I love to change up a room but oh it is a lot of work! Looks like you had the fog that we did -- now today rain and snow! Thanks for stopping in at my site!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jackie! It's so nice to meet you. I was so excited to see your new face under my follower button. Thank you so much for following me.

    I love your new remodeled bathroom. It is beautiful! And I know how time consuming redoing a bathroom is, because we did it about 5 yrs ago. Oh but it was so worth it.

    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the colors! They are so warm and cozy! The redo is beautiful and fresh!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.