Monday, February 8, 2010

Take It To The Mattressess...


I bought a mattress this weekend. Online.

Weird? Maybe.

Before you decide...let me tell you about our history with mattresses...

When Pat and I landed together in our first apartment we had a roll-away bed. The roll-away bed was Pat's contribution to our hodge-podge of throw away furniture in our new apartment. Now, the roll-away bed was a step up for me because I had been sleeping on a camping cot for the previous year or two when I lived with my sister in our shared apartment in St. Louis...my big city adventure. (LOL!) At first glance, the roll-away bed didn't seem so bad considering what I had been sleeping on. However, a twin size roll-away bed for two people...not the best sleeping arrangement...

Pat and I pooled our money together and went to the mall in search of a bed. Guess where we ended up? It's 1989 folks...what do you think? The Waterbed store, of course. In 1989 you could buy a waterbed much cheaper than a regular mattress and box spring...or at least that's what our 5 minutes of research netted us. We bought a waterbed. The bottom-of-the-line waterbed for $100. No baffles. No padding around the wooden frame. Just a big piece of plastic filled with water. We were 21 years old and this sounded okay until you would roll yourself onto the bed trying not to scrape your leg on the frame and then when you get on the bed you sink and hit the bottom (no baffles, remember?). Again...not the best sleeping experience.

I don't know how long we had that water-bed. I don't think we even had it for a year before we decided we needed to actually get some sleep and that we needed a real mattress. So, we head out to the surplus furniture store that was having a Truck Load Mattress Sale. That was the best $200 I spent of my student loan money that month (yeah, I was making some great decisions). Truth was, it was a huge step up from the water-bed. In fact, we still have that mattress in our spare bedroom.

Then, a few years later, Pat's Mom was getting a new mattress for her bed and we inherited a higher-end Orthopedic mattress from her. It was great. Free! It lasted several years until the springs started poking us in the sides. That mattress survived two pregnancies. It's no wonder the springs started poking.

Finally...about a year ago...Pat saw an ad at a local furniture store downtown that was having a HUGE mattress sale. He consulted me for about 5 minutes and then said, "I'm going to get it". I shrugged my shoulders and thought "whatever...surely any mattress he gets can't be much worse than what we have now".

WRONG!!


He pulls into the driveway and comes in to ask for my help in bringing it in. As he's unloading this thing the first thing I see is a wooden frame with springs...kind of like what a box spring foundation looks like. I say, "Did you get a box spring foundation instead of a mattress?". As it turns out it actually was a mattress. So, you can just imagine the comfort level here! Pat has stuck out the mattress since last spring...with a lot of complaining...I might add! I've spent nights on the couch, spare bedroom, kids beds and the recliner.

One thing I do well when I'm too sick to do anything else or when I'm having insomnia is SHOP online! So, we now have a queen size Memory Foam mattress on it's way to our house. No Springs! Anything is better than what we have, right? Uh-oh...where have I heard that before?

Sweet Dreams!
Jackie


P.S. regarding the blog title...just had to get in a little plug for a couple of my favorite movies...The Godfather and You've Got Mail.

11 comments:

  1. I hate mattress shopping. I finally got a great one that slept so good and I left clothes from the dryer on it and they BURNED a whole in it! I wanted to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie, I just wanted to say hello and to thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting. I love comments, so you've just made my day!!
    Thank you! I know you said you'd be back, so I hope I will continue to bless and encourage.

    Get a good night sleep, you hear now?

    By the way; I like your blog too. It's very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome and funny story Jackie. I hope the mattress works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. File this under "Memories I'd rather forget." :-)))))))))))))

    Oh and best of luck with this one!!! :-)

    .♥.♥.♥.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last one we bought was through a catalogue - around 10 years ago! Due for a newby I thinks yours sounds great. Hope it is and you get lots of lovely sleeps zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Hope the memory foam mattress is as good as advertised! Never even tried one. But I would say you certainly deserve a good night's sleep on a great mattress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If your new memory foam mattress is half as comfortable as the memory foam pillow I've been sleeping with for the last 7 years, you're gonna be in heaven!

    I can't wait to hear a review from someone. We bought a high-end mattress with a built-in memory foam top but next time, I want the real deal. Nothing makes up for sleep lost from discomfort. I hope you sleep like a rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do hope you like it! I should think anything will feel better than what you've been sleeping on forever!!! :) Sweet dreams!

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! And I like You've Got Mail too! : )

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah, and I had the exact same type of waterbed, I bought it for myself in highschool..oh the memories...can't say that I miss mine either...I think it had at least two or three leaks....what a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we're due for a new mattress! That's the fun of a new house - we need a bunch of stuff! But we're getting a new house (which means house payment). Good luck with the new mattress!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.