Thursday, April 29, 2010

Phenomenal Woman

Phenomenal Woman.

Phenomenal Women.

They have always been my inspiration. My heroes have always been women. Strong women who have overcome obstacles in their lives. One of the poems I printed many years ago when I started journaling and digging into my past was one by Maya Angelou. She continues to be an inspiration to me. Everything she writes seems to apply to me on some level. She inspires me to think, reflect and write.

We are Phenomenal Women...all of us. We were created for something special in this world. We're strong...yet caring. We're different...we're phenomenal. You are...believe it!

Enjoy...

Phenomenal Woman

by Maya Angelou

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
I say,
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It’s the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can’t touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,
They say they still can’t see.
I say,
It’s in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

Now you understand
Just why my head’s not bowed.
I don’t shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing,
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It’s in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need for my care.
’Cause I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

Maya Angelou, “Phenomenal Woman” from And Still I Rise. Copyright © 1978

18 comments:

  1. Oh Jackie, this poem IS wonderful, beguiling, phenomenal!
    In this day of 'celebrity culture' the word phenomenal is so often used inappropriately. Here it is used to great effect and with such rhythmn, the sum of all she is in her incredible and somewhat troubled life. Thank you for reminding me of her words today.

    Jeanne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect post on any day, but especially as we approach Mother's Day. Women need to be reminded that to celebrate themselves and all that makes them unique. Too often we as women can get bogged down with self-criticism or everyday stresses. This is fabulous. Thanks again for sharing. YOU are phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie, I love this poem, I have always love Maya Angelou....and have read almost everything she has ever written. A woman who overcome great odds and who should hold her head up proudly, in fact we all should.......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read that and appreciate you sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww! I love her poem here too. She is soooo gifted with words that reach your inner soul. I'm sure her gifting has been magnified through the pain she has overcome in her life. She is a wonderful example for us women. I too love reading about women who have overcome such great pain and odds. Thank you for sharing her special words with us Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! I've never read that poem before, but it says it all, doesn't it?
    I wish I'd had read that in my late teens, early 20's ... it might have given me a bit more confidence!

    Great choice, Jackie!!
    We are ALL phenomenal!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorites! On a few occasions through the years, I've watched/listened as Maya read this (well, on t.v. of course.. lol). And it always blows me away. Phenomenal! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie I am an admirer of Maya Angelou and I have heard her read this poem twice on TV. As I read it here I can here her distinctive voice just as though she was right here. I love this poem lots and it is a great way to start this Friday morning! Thank you for this post of her wonderful phenomenal poem and the link to her site!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful poem. It was just what I needed this morning. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sweet hello from Frog Hollow Farm. What a wonderful message for all women. Thanks for sharing! Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that poem....Love all her poems...Late night blog hopping.....
    Have 2 great giveaways that I am drawing for on Sunday night
    http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/2010/04/oh-happy-day-and-giveway-no-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great poem...she is a brilliant woman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great poem, Jackie! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Beauty is many times captured by the confidence we have in who we are. It doesn't make us flippant or overly self-assured ...just phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. she is certainly a phenomenal writer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love that poem. thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'Aunt Amelia' was here. But her back still hurts. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  17. sensational poem!
    thank you for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! I've not read it before, so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.