Thursday, January 13, 2011

Worrying Doesn't Work...

Worrying about things doesn't do any good.  I know this.  I know this.  Yet, I am a silent worrier.  I even heard myself saying to my husband recently, "Pat, worrying doesn't work because you can worry and whatever is going to happen will happen whether you worried about it or not".  Good Advice.  I should practice what I preach.

I've learned a lesson about worrying in the last couple of months.  In the past, I've worried about our finances, jobs, when the kids were sick, finances, jobs, finances...finances...finances.  You get the picture.  I can honestly say that I've never worried about my dear cousin Denise getting cancer.  Of course, I don't want anyone who I love to get cancer, but I never worried about it because I didn't have a reason to worry.  I didn't worry...and...she got Cancer anyway!   So, what does that tell you (and me) about worrying?  It tells me that worrying doesn't change whatever God has in store for me...Denise...or any of us. 

Denise is my cousin, but more like my sister.  She is not quite 40 and got her Breast Cancer diagnosis in November 2010.  She had a double mastectomy on December 13, 2010.  She started her first round of Chemo yesterday.  She was really sick all last night.  She will lose her hair within 3 weeks.  She will be in treatments for months as they are taking an aggressive approach to the type of cancer she has.

I'm not worried. 

I'm not worried because I know God has something in mind for all of this pain and sickness that she has to endure.  I've already learned the first of many lessons from her and that lesson is: It Doesn't Pay To Worry.  Denise has handled this diagnosis with strength and courage from the very beginning.  I'm in awe of her Grace in this situation.


When I find myself worrying silently or losing sleep...that will be my reminder to Pray and let God handle it!

Will you also pray for Denise and everyone who is surrounding her during this time?  


Thanks for Stopping By,

Jackie

Matthew 6:34 (New Living Translation)

 34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

**photo courtesy of flickr.com

15 comments:

  1. Jackie, I am going to my journal right now and write her name down on my prayer list...and I WILL pray for her...and for the whole family. Bless you, dear Sister In Christ, for your tender heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've never thought of worrying or not worrying in that context before but it makes sense and I think you've taught us all a valuable life lesson today. All worrying will really accomplish is making us sick but not much else.

    I'm very sorry to hear this is why you've been away and while worrying doesn't amount to a hill of beans, praying on the other hand is a worthwhile pursuit and I will be praying that God will comfort Denise and her family as they deal with this, day by day.

    Hugs ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pray for Denise, Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending prayers for Denise, her family and you and yours.
    blessings,Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for Denise, and Jackie worrying doesn't solve anything but praying will help everything.
    ...:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Given that it's 12:48 am and I'm reading this post because I'm up worrying, I suppose I ought to take your advice too!

    Besides, it's harder to handle EVERYTHING when you're sleep deprived!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I meant to add that I'm so sorry for all the struggle Denise has to endure. I will add her to my prayers- which seem to have too many who are too young to be dealing with cancer right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie I'm so sorry to hear about Denise. It sounds like she has had an early diagnosis which is so important. I send my prayers and best wishes to her and your family.

    You are right of course, worrying doesn't do any good but we all do it at one time or another. Chin up. I know you are a positive person and all WILL be well.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackie I got the "worrying" thing. I hear and know what you are saying about worrying and in my heart I know you are right. It is a hard habit to break. I will be praying for your cousin Denise.

    I just told CH I need to let God take care of my worries a couple of days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What aa inspiring post. Your cousin sounds beautiful and I will keep her in my prayers. Instead of worrying...pray. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jackie I have this on my fridge. I should read it everyday.

    Good Morning! This is God! I will be handling all your problems today. I will not need your help--So, have a nice day. I love you.

    Credit, Joyce Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jackie, I will say a prayer for your cousin. And I know a lot about worrying. I tell my children the exact same thing as you do that worrying doesn't change anything! But I'm not always very good about following my own advice. Prayer definitely helps. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jackie dear: I'm sorry Denise got a trip to Cancerland. You are both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Father God,
    You have already used what was meant for evil to do good. Thank you for that. I pray that you will do a miracle of healing. I pray You will use this cancer for Your purposes and that someone will be saved through this.
    I ask it all in faith through Jesus Christ our savior, redeemer, intercessor, and friend.
    Amen

    Blessings to you!
    Laura of Harvest Lane




    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jackie-

    I would recommend you take a look at Suburban Matron's blog--she's a young breast cancer survivor and went through surgery and chemo last year. Her posts might uplift you and possibly your cousin if you wanted to share them with her. She has them archived in a way you can search them all easily.

    Oh, and I heard Michael J. Fox recently explain why he deliberately chooses not to worry: because if you get anxious about what might happen and then it doesn't happen, you wasted good energy. If you worry and the worst does happen, then you live it twice. I'm seriously trying to adopt this view.

    Mary
    Flat Rock Creek Notebook

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.