Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Seeing Through A Different Lens...The Lens of Having a Child With A Disability...

For the past two weeks I have been the Mom of a child in a wheelchair.  Since Kyler broke his leg he has been in a full leg cast and uses a wheelchair.  He will have the cast for at least six more weeks and then he will have a boot and possibly be in the wheelchair until Christmas.  

Having a child with a disability (albeit a temporary one) is difficult.  

The daily challenges:  transferring a 55 pound 4 foot tall boy, bathing, toileting, as well as keeping this active 5 year old busy while sitting in a wheelchair.  Kyler has done really well.  He can be demanding at times (that's not really new though), but he has adjusted well and hasn't complained much at all.  

What I'm seeing, though, is what it is like to have a child with a disability.  What I mean is, I can somewhat understand now what it would be like to have a child who is disabled all the time.  Please don't misunderstand me, I am in no way saying that what we're experiencing is anything close to what someone else experiences when they have a child with a severe disability...but...I am now better able to understand some the of physical and emotional challenges the Moms of those kids face.  Our situation is temporary and I'm grateful for that. 

Several days after Kyler broke his leg I started to understand that this wasn't going to be easy.  Evidently I'm a little slow. 

I now understand the exhaustion.  Physically lifting Kyler in and out of his wheelchair...into the car...out of the car...onto the toilet...onto the couch...It's tiring. 

Taking a child to kindergarten in a wheelchair is emotional.  The older kids see him and probably understand that his leg is broken when they see the cast.  The younger kids (his classmates) just stare at him and you can see the questions on their faces.  It breaks my heart.  Now, I understand what it would be like to have a child with a disability and dealing with the stares and the questions.  He is handling it well.  I don't handle it well sometimes and just want to cry...for him and for me. Then there are the other days when we're doing really well...he has a good day at school and my emotions are in check. 

This experience has been another reminder to me that I am Blessed.  My kids are healthy.  Kyler will be walking again soon.  His kindergarten experience will be at least somewhat normal in a few weeks.  These challenges that we are facing will fade.   

There are many Moms who can't say this.  This is the life they live everyday and it continues...and continues.    These Moms may have a child in a wheelchair, or a child with Autism or Cancer. 

My eyes are opened!  I see through a different Lens now.  

To the Moms who are dealing with this every day of your life...my heart goes out to you.  I now understand more fully the daily challenges you face.  You inspire me.   I will never again take for granted the health and mobility of my boys. 

I'm Encouraged.

Jackie

4 comments:

  1. Prayers going to our Lord for your little guy Jackie. I am sure this is so hard on you and your whole family, and I am thankful it is only temporary. Everything happens for a reason, and perhaps our Lord is giving you a heart for those who are n this situation permanently. The Lord works in mysterious ways :0!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew this would be rough, and I'm sure you did too... but I guess the daily reality of it all is tougher than we can imagine. Bless you and Kyler... I hope and pray that he heals well and super-fast! Sounds like such a trooper! Also, praying that Mom stays strong (my back hurts thinking about all that lifting!). -Tammy p.s. he is so darned cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my the memories that went through my head as I read this! When my 4th child was (he's now so we survived it!) he broke is leg playing keep-away on slippery grass on an October night. 5 surgeries, a wheelchair & walker later he walked for the 1st time unassisted on Mother's Day. I'm sending tons of thoughts & prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a tender post. It's one thing to have empathy... another to literally walk in someone else's shoes.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.