Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Want A Little Heat For Your Dinner Tonight? Try Cajun Chicken Pasta...

The heat continues here in Mid Missouri.  Since the hot weather doesn't seem to be going away, I decided to just go with it and spice up our dinner one night last week and make Cajun Pasta.  It was a huge success with all the boys in the house and I'll be making this dish again.

Cajun Chicken Pasta


Ingredients
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken breasts, Cut Into Cubes
3 teaspoons Cajun Spice Mix, More To Taste
1 pound linguine or fettuccine
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Bell Pepper, Seeded And Sliced (whatever color you have)
1 lb Okra (I substituted corn)
1 small Onion, diced
5-6 cloves Garlic, Minced
4 whole Tomatoes, Diced
2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
½ cups White Wine
1 cup Heavy Cream
Cayenne Pepper To Taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Salt To Taste

Directions
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain when pasta is still al dente; do not overcook!

Sprinkle Cajun spice over chicken pieces. Toss around to coat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy skillet over high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer; do not stir. Allow chicken to brown on one side, about 1 minute. Flip to the other side and cook an additional minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a clean plate, leaving pan on high heat.

Add remaining olive oil and butter. When heated, add all the veggies. Sprinkle on Cajun seasoning. Cook over very high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring gently and trying to get the vegetables as dark/black as possible. Remove all vegetables from the pan.

With the pan over high heat, pour in the wine and chicken broth. Cook on high for 3 to 5 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Reduce heat to medium-low and pour in cream, stirring/whisking constantly. Cook sauce over medium-low heat for a few minutes, until cream starts to thicken the mixture. Taste and add freshly ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, and/or salt to taste. Sauce should be spicy!

Finally, add chicken and vegetables to sauce, making sure to include all the juices that have drained onto the plate. Stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and hot. Add drained pasta and toss to combine and enjoy!

Ca c'est bon!
Jackie

*Recipe credit - The Newlyweds Blog

4 comments:

  1. That looks YUMMY Jackie! By the way, I'd substitute corn for okra too, as I don't eat okra, and nobody in my house does either? How about this heat!!! It was 110 degrees in Jefferson City last night at 6:30 when I left work. I know you love summer, but I am SO ready for fall . . . the most wonderful time of the year :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blessings to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie,
    This recipe looks so delicious. My family loves anything with pasta and my DH loves spicy, so I'm going to file this away.

    I haven't been blog hopping in a while and your 'new' layout looks great! Love, love your photos. I read some of your past posts and just wanted to comment that 'Second Hand Rose' was just what I needed to read today. (Isn't it funny how things come up when you need them?) As my family is growing and moving on, I'm wondering what my place is. But, I'm not done yet -- one more child still in the nest. So, it was helpful today to be reminded of Joshua and how important his role was.

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious, and right up my alley. Thank you, Jackie! Love your header too!! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my favorite recipe, your inspiring me to make it this week!! Think I will, glad you subbed corn and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.