Friday, June 1, 2012

...and they grow up...

Kobe and I in 2008...close to a year after I started this blog...






Kobe in 2012...

When I had my first baby, Kobe, almost 12 years ago I never really thought about him getting older.  Not really.  When I was pregnant I thought about decorating the nursery, buying cute baby clothes and picking out strollers and cribs.  I never even thought much beyond all the cuteness and what I was feeling as I was carrying this baby.  As you can imagine,  I wasn't well prepared for what having a real...live...baby was like...even though I had read every dang book on the subject for the WHOLE nine months.  Geesh!  Kobe and I had a rough start...mainly since I had Post-Partum depression... but we came through it all okay.  What is amazing to me is that all those baby days really do seem like they were just last year...certainly not 11 years ago. 

I've learned that having kids is all about developmental stages and gracefully adjusting.  I've tried to enjoy every single of one them...even on those pesky 1/2 years. Anyone else experience the mood swings/temper tantrums, etc. when their kids are at the 1/2 year point between birthdays?  Okay...well...maybe it's just us!

With Kobe...I've gotten to experience the all the development stages for the first time.  With my second son, Kyler, we can kind of sit back and enjoy his experiences...because...we've Been There AND Done That.  Except... for the broken leg a few days before he was to start kindergarten.  Nope...hadn't experienced that one before.  And, you know, they are two completely different kids (of course) but these guys are opposites.  Kobe is reserved (very reserved) and Kyler will talk to anyone.  The differences are so much fun for me.

When I started this blog, Kobe was 7 years old and in the first grade.  Now, Middle School is starting soon....Puberty is close...Lots of questions coming at me.  Questions about things I didn't think about when I was carrying this boy for those 9 months.  Questions like..."How does that baby get in there anyway?"

I'm Gracefully Adjusting.

Yes.

Gracefully Adjusting...


--jackie

3 comments:

  1. "Gracefully adjusting." I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you! My twins had the last day of elementary school today. I am less 'gracefully adjusting' but I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so with you! My girl is in college and my son will be in the 10th grade next year and all I can do is wonder where the time has gone! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.