Saturday, February 21, 2009

On church...

Hebrews 10:25 (New International Version)
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Let's talk about going to church.
For many years I have been doing bible studies, reading devotionals and having a morning prayer time. For something like 10 years probably. I have always wanted to go to church and have visited a few but never found one I really liked for a variety of reasons....too big...not friendly...too old fashioned...too contemporary....etc... I never felt like I really needed to go to have my relationship with God. I actually still feel that I don't have to go to have a relationship with Him. However, for the last few months I have found that I'm not content just doing my solitary activities. My morning prayer time is very important to me!! But now, I want to talk about my faith with other people. I want to study the bible with others and I want to get support and encouragement and in turn do the same for other people.
So, tomorrow, I'm going to visit a small church in my neighborhood. I'm keeping an open mind and keeping in mind what I really am looking for....community. I'll keep you posted on my endeavor.

5 comments:

  1. Jackie, you are in my prayers, I pray that you find just what you are looking for. I attend a small church in our village and although there have been ups and downs when I'm away for a long period of time, I miss the fellowship, the worship with others...I feel something is missing. We usually have a couple bible studies a year and they are so encouraging. Most of the congregation are older men and women and I have learned so much about my faith and life from them. I do believe that in choosing a church we have to have the same values, yet there is no perfect church. Even in ours...some want more of the older hymns, newer hymns, want the sermons changed, time, etc...thank the Lord we are all different and have our own talents and gifts to offer others. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Blessings, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I'd really like to find a small church like that too. Just a small country church. It's on my to do list. I've promised myself this for years and I need to make it good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know I have felt the same way and I've been doing it on my on for 10 years. I want to go to a church, but don't because I can't find the right one. the ones I visit are usually unfriendly. I want a rather small one. Well anyway will be praying for you.Love the blog.. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you do find the right "fit" in a church. We are on that same hunt. We went to the same one for many years and then they started changing things up....way too much. We need to find that right fit for our family also.♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was an unknown history to me but it's really astonishing. For building such churches Effective church financing in USA is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.