Friday, June 26, 2009

Garden Notes - 26 June 2009

There is much happening in my little Cottage Garden on this hot day in June 2009.

Our new raised vegetable garden was put in very late (early June) so it is just now taking off. The Peppers and Tomatoes have born fruit and the Zucchini and Cucumbers have blooms. Mmmm...Homemade Pizza with Tomatoes, Peppers, Oregano, Chives and Fresh Parmesan Cheese...OK...I'm getting ahead of myself....that little delight is WEEKS away.

The Daylilies and Hydrangeas are in full bloom now and are my two favorites in the garden. Can you ever have too many Hydrangeas? Eight is definitely Not Enough. No more references to 70's t.v. shows, I promise. But, I really do have 8 of them. The annuals on the deck are loving the hot weather and aren't missing all the rain we had earlier in the month.

Oh, you saw the potting bench? It's been in my house for a few years. It works much better outside. Quite cottage-like, don't you think?

In the half-moon garden that I planted last year everything is starting to take off. The baby Hostas and toddler Daylilies are thriving. This is the garden with the old chair and the pot of annuals. Half-moon....Half Mulched...I ran out! Hey folks, this is a real garden here...weeds, holey leaves and all!

The little fern-like plant is an unknown at this point. My Aunt Debbie gave me some cuttings of this from her garden and so far they like their new home. Aunt Debbie is who taught me to love gardening. Other transplants from her Missouri Farm are the Sedum and Lirope and I'm sure I'm forgetting others. Thanks, Aunt Deb!

I almost forgot to tell you about our new neighbors! Did you see the little blue birdhouse inside the grapevine wreath? Well, this is now the new home for a sweet wren couple and possibly some additions to their family. My peeping tom skills are lacking so I wasn't able to get a good look in their window to see if there are any little gifts in there. However, I may be sending out birth announcements soon!

Ahhh...and finally...the Sweet Potato Vine...You just can't go wrong with it.

So...How Does Your Garden Grow?















4 comments:

  1. Jackie, your cottage garden is gorgeous! I love all the special touches, and the plants look so healthy! Your cukes look way better than mine right now - I think they too are suffering heat exhaustion. Have to say my personal favorite is the hydrangea. Beautiful! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures! We have little green tomatoes, too, and teeny tiny cucumbers, squash blooms, tiny green beans and flowers on our potato plants. Last year I made spaghetti and pizza sauce with our tomatoes, it's very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with your garden!!!

    I am in the process of doing something with my garden after only living here three years lol

    your pictures have inspired me to get stuck into it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are just beautiful! I have green beans, potatoes, onions, and lettuce. Everything else is still blooming! Yours looks wonderful!
    Have a great day!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.