Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rockin' Out At Church!

If you've been reading my blog for any amount of time you may know that I've had some issues with finding a church where I'm comfortable and somewhere my kids actually want to go every week.

This past weekend we attended a church here in town that could be called a mega-church. I have resisted putting it on my list as a church I wanted to try because it's so big and I'm not looking for BIG...I'm looking for MEDIUM, Friendly and Active.

Well, let me tell you about this church. The exterior is not impressive. It's warehouse-like for lack of a better word.

Warehouse = BIG!

However, the boys and I are greeted at the door by several friendly folks who direct us to the kids area.

As we walk in, I realize that this isn't your ordinary church and I must say, the exterior is misleading! It has the feel of a lobby of a very nice theater. Kobe, looks at me and just says, "Wow"!

We first pass a cafe. Yes, a cafe with tables and specialty coffee, soda and snacks to purchase.

Next thing on the right is a Video Cafe. Cafe Tables and Video Screens. What is a Video Cafe you ask? If you don't feel like sitting in the theater/sanctuary, you can chat with friends, sip your coffee and watch the show. Show? Yes, keep reading...

The bookstore is next. A not-so-smallish version of your local christian bookstore.

Onto the kids area. Well, this is an experience all in itself. Open up the glass doors and you are in the kids check-in area. No less than half dozen computer stations and people running around with headsets to help you. At the computer you find your name, print a name-tag for each kiddo and an information sheet for each kid with your picture and their picture on it. Good Security!! Come check-out time if you don't have an information sheet with your picture and your kids picture on it...you don't get your kid back....they won't even let you past the computer atrium. Gotta like that!

So, we got past the bouncers and enter the kids area. Do you hear trumpets? I'm sure my kids did as we entered through the doors. Just imagine an indoor playground (kinda like what you see at a mall), a huge man-made tree to crawl through, a bounce house, lots of ride-on toys, Thomas the train tables and tracks and this is just the preschool area. Kyler is dropped off and is in happy 3-year old heaven.

On to the 3rd-5th Grade Cafe. Yep! They have their own cafe as well as an indoor glassed in basketball court, video game stations, craft tables, and a mini theater which I think is where they had their lesson on faith that day. Got Kobe checked in and he didn't even look back.

Okay then...let's get this party started!

We pass by the coffee station. If you don't want a specialty coffee drink in the cafe then you can have plain old coffee or tea here for Free.

We enter the sanctuary/auditorium/theater and find some seats. It's pretty full for a summer day, at least 3/4 full and I'd say it holds several hundred people. It's Big! Remember...I didn't want Big.

I look up at the stage and it looks ordinary...there are big video screens on each side of the stage...I don't notice the curtains. Then, I hear the drumsticks hitting each other and music explodes as the curtains open. I mean get up out of your chair and "rock" kind of music. I've seen praise bands at church before. This is not a praise band. This a professional christian rock band and they are ROCKIN' OUT and so are the people in the audience. The whole effect wouldn't be complete without strobe lights, smoke and cool video effects on the screens...kinda like watching a music video.

The Pastor starts his message. Oh, by the way, the Pastor is out of the country so his messages have been taped at a local vineyard and will be broadcast via video all summer while he is away. His message is really relevant to me and easy to understand. It's all very slick with cool breakaways from the message with curtain opening and the band starts again.

Service is over and I get past the bouncers to pick up the kids. They don't want to leave and Kobe says, "Can we come here every Sunday"? My heart sings just a little when I hear this.


GRADE CARD FOR BIG MEGA CHURCH I DIDN'T WANT TO ATTEND:


Impersonal? Yes.

Medium Size? Uh, NO!

Exciting? Yes.

Friendly? Yes.

Encouraging? Yes.

Good Message? Yes.

Opportunities for friendship/fellowship for Mom? Yes.

Opportunities for friendship/activities for kids? Yes.

Good Coffee? Yes


Are We Going Back? Definitely...YES!!

3 comments:

  1. Well, coming from rural WV, I can tell you I have never heard of or seen a church like that before. I've went to small country churches all my life. If they preach the gospel and have alter calls, I guess they're OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this 'the' church that advertises on t.v. locally? If so, their ad made me wanna attend! Sounds fun, exciting, definitely not your yawn-in-the-pew kind of church (not that I do that, mind you.. ha!). And bouncers too... gotta love it. Thx for sharing! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.