Thursday, November 19, 2009

Saying Grace...

Being Grateful for what I've been given is a central theme in my life. I've come a long way and can look back at things that have happened in the past and recognize that there was a reason. I think God allows situations in our lives to happen so that we will grow in our relationship with Him. It's hard to be grateful sometimes though, isn't it? I could write a lot about this but I'll save it for another time.

I feel like I have a strong personal relationship with God and I'm continuing to grow and learn everyday. However, an area that I haven't been successful in is really sharing that with my boys. I talk about God and hope that I'm modeling my life in a way that shows my love and relationship with Him. But, we're not good about saying prayers before bedtime and saying Grace before meals. I talk to them a lot about being grateful for things and sharing what we have with others and we really do that! But, this one area is what I'm working toward to help grow and strengthen their relationship with God as well.

About Grace...I can write some really poetic prayers sometimes...some deep thoughts about my faith...but I'm not good at speaking prayers out loud. This would be one reason Grace before meals has not happened often. Kobe and I talked about this at dinner the other night and together we came up with the idea to write down short prayers we think of or find and things we're grateful for. As we write these things down we will start adding them to a jar. We're calling it our Gratitude Jar and we will pull out one or more of the slips of paper and read it as our "Grace" before each meal. It's a start...and... something the kids can be involved in as well.



In searching around for some ideas for our Gratitude Jar I found the following sites:

OUR PINATA has a cute idea for a Gratitude Jar.

PRISM, has a really cute idea for a Blessings Jar.


And finally, here are some simple prayers that will be going into our Gratitude Jar. I'd love for you to share any short prayers of gratitude that you say!!



Thank You God
For the golden corn and the apples on the trees
For the butter and the honey for our tea
For fruits and nuts and berries that grow beside the way
For birds and bees and flowers We give our thanks today
Blessings on our meal
And on our family!


The Lord is good to me
and so I thank the Lord
for giving me the things I need
the sun and the rain and the apple seed.
The Lord is good to me.
Amen!


Let us pause before we eat
and think about the ones in need
of food and shelter and of love,
please bless us all dear God above.
Amen.


Thank you for the food we eat,
Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you God for everything.


Thank you, God, for loving me.
Thank you for my family.
Help me to learn more each day
To be kind at work and play.
Amen.



7 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea. A great way to teach your kids gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackie! I think will share a few those with my kids. In the last week, after losing his grandma, my son has reminded me through his actions about saying grace and bedtime prayers. Your post couldn't come at a better time!
    Blessings to you! ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gratitude jar and I love your new look!!! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome idea! I think that I'm going to try to implement this at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sometimes hard to incorporate those good habits and be consistent. We were always good at bedtime prayers, but saying grace ~ not so much. The gratitude jar idea is fantastic.

    And I love your new winter wonderland! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a marvelous idea to have a gratitude jar. Its so important to remember who brings the main course in the meal, so to speak.

    I don't know when we started it, but in our family, its automatic to just say, "Thank you, Father," when we experience something good, a sunset, protection that we are suddenly made aware of, a glass of milk. Because of this, we often recall exactly where our blessings come from.
    ~ Just Joany

    Red Wagon Flights

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely.

    Here is my daughter's prayer for dinner every night: "thank you for this wonderful day and for the food we're about to eat". Simple and to the point. I've often thought of trying to help her branch out, but then I think it's pretty great for a 3 yr old, so I'll just leave it alone and see how her prayers grow. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.