Friday, February 12, 2010

Decorating Inspiration from the Big Screen...

Obviously I've been in some sort of nesting phase for the last couple of months because most of my posts have been about decorating lately. It continues today. Even this weekend my plan is to unload a lot of junk from my bedroom in order to prepare the room for a much simpler, cottage-like feeling. Painting commences next week.

As I watched You've Got Mail for the about the 25th time last week, I realized one of the reasons I love the movie so much is because of Meg Ryan's apartment and her quaint little bookstore. The story is sweet but I really like the look of almost all the sets. The feeling of her apartment is what I'm striving for in my house...I never quite get it...but I'm still trying. I love everything about her apartment. All the books. Old, chipped up decor and the mismatched fabrics. It's comfortable. I also love the movie this one is based on called The Shop Around The Corner. The decor isn't as charming...but the movie is worth watching.



Can't forget about the bookstore...

If you don't have kids you probably haven't watched Alvin and the Chipmunks...or maybe you have! The first thing I said when the scene opened up in Jason Lee's house was "I LOVE his house". Every time it's on I take mental notes about how it's decorated. Now I have some photos.


So, now there is a new movie that I haven't seen but several blogs have been buzzing about it and have featured photos from the movie...mainly the gardens. It's Complicated starring Meryl Streep. The movie looks really cute but I can't wait to see it because of these....


I'm a practical enough girl to know that most real gardens don't look anything like this....but a girl can dream, can't she?

I found photos of these movie sets all over the internet but the best collection is at Hooked On Houses. If you pay attention to the decor in movies like I do, chances are you'll find one of your favorites on her blog.

Have a great weekend and in between de-junking I plan to catch up on some of your blogs...I'll see you there.


Jackie

13 comments:

  1. I'm with you! Can someone come to my house and help me achieve that look??

    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, you always inspire me. Love the photos and ideas from some of my favorite movies. For me, it always goes back to de-junking and just general cleaning. That's where I have to start! I'm simply stuck! Happy De-junking! It actually sounds like a great way to spend the wintry weekend. -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh I love 'You've Got Mail' too!!!! As with just about all films and tv shows even, I pay most attention to the sets!

    Yes! Sets! Sets! Sets!

    And 'Hooked On Houses' does a marvelous job of grabbing pics!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE EVERY SET YOU DESCRIBED! I have always wanted to OWN Shop Around The Corner! It just has such a neat feel to it. I have the movie and have probably watched it 25 times too! I saw the movie It's Complicated and while the movie is so-so her kitchen is perfect. And, wait until you see the bakery she owns. You would be in heaven! It is worth renting the dvd just to see it. So, I will be anxiously watching your blog for before and after pictures of your house . . . right after I rent Alvin & The Chipmunks. I gotta see that house too! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I'd sure like to get your recipe for the Buttery Bread Machine Rolls! They look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you found those pictures of the movies. I too, just love the movie "You've Got Mail". I also love the warm welcoming feeling of her house and bookstore. I am trying also to give my home that cottage-like feel. I haven't seen the other movie yet, but do love the pictures you've shown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so much loveliness in those pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie,

    Oh my gosh, I LOVE this post! It's true for me too! I watch One True Thing over and over because I absolutely LOVE the house! How do you get the still pictures from the movie?

    I love the design style of You've Got Mail too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops, nevermind! You just told me where you got the pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, come on, Jackie! Don't ALL of our gardens look like that and don't we all look like Meryl Streep when we are out among our tomatoes! ;-)

    This post was very eye-soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Morning Jackie! I love that look too and have been trying to organize my mish mash of decorating. I found the cutest cupboard in a pretty antique kind of green that works in our greatroom. Only took me 4 years and I found it at the Marketplace in Jeff. Fun post Jackie and I could watch You've Got Mail AND Under the Tuscan Sun from now and forever and not get tired of either one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just watched "You've Got Mail" over the weekend! I like it and whenever I see it is on I end up watching it - so charming! Her apartment and store are great! I think the feeling in them is that they are 'layered' as I call it. Her store has stuff from when her mom owned it - the apartment almost seems handed down too...layers of things, books, pillows, pictures...

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today and commenting!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these "houses" too! The colors are so fresh and subtle in all of them. The first two have that lovely panelling on the walls. I love Meg Ryan's character! I wish that I could DRESS like her. It's perfect to my way of thinking but, I hardly have her figure. = P I like how her apt and shop seem like a world apart from the big, impersonal city. Even though she's intelligent and sophisticated and a bit of a tom boy, she's also soft and feminine (floral, cottagey and children's books). Oh, I LOVE it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.