Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentines Day Wisdom To Carry Through The Days...



Let everything you do be done in love (true love to God and man as inspired by God's love for us).

1 Corinthians 16:14 From the Amplified Bible

What better way to live my life than being intentional about my love for God and those around me. I can honestly say that I don't approach everything in my life this way and I can imagine the difference if I did. There is always work to be done isn't there? For that I'm thankful. I hope I never stop growing and learning in my faith.

I mentioned recently that I'm starting a new class at church. It's called Sacred Rhythms. It's based on a book by Ruth Haley Barton.


I'm excited about the class because it's based on the same spiritual practice that I've been enjoying in the Solo Devotional for the last year. The practice is called Lectio Divina or Divine Reading/Spiritual Reading. Basically, you study, ponder, listen and pray. This one practice has made all the difference for me in my relationship with God. However, this class is really out of my comfort zone. I love the idea of getting together with other people and discussing our faith, but for me to actually do it is something else altogether. I missed the first class because of my illness, so this Wednesday is the first one for me. This a big church. I got the list of my classmates last week and I don't know anyone. That's okay...but I'm stepping out of the zone a little. I'll let you know how it goes.






Hope you all had a wonderful Valentines Day.

Jackie

**photos - red tulips on my dining room table, strawberry cake with cherry frosting for Valentines day, Kobe enjoying a cupcake made from leftover batter.

6 comments:

  1. I understand about stepping out! But I'm sure you'll be so happy you stretched yourself. That's what a friend of mine calls it!

    Love the tulips. Can't wait till they're in season up here and I can buy some and place on my table. Your son reminds me of mine eating that cupcake! Very cute! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We baked a heart cake for valentines too.
    Hope you enjoy the class - I'm really enjoying my quiet study/devotional/journally time at the moment - I try to fit in 20 mins or so before we start school in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie, come over to my blog to collect something :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great you are stepping out of your comfort zone. Maybe it will be easier because you don't know the other people? One thing is certain, you'll know them REALLY well when the class is over.

    One of the best things about organized religion is the opportunity to learn and gain new perspective from the experiences and faith of others. We do lots of testimony sharing in my church (so it isn't too far out of the zone for me even though I still get nervous sometimes) and it's a great way to build faith, personal and spiritual bonds and deepen your own knowledge. I'm sure it will be a great experience for you.

    Tulips are my favorite flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to find another Missouri blogger.
    Step on out there, stretch, how can you go wrong with God beside you.

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm going to read through yours, too! :)
    Swagbucks is so awesome, mainly because I don't do anything differently, yet I get rewarded! I hope you have as much fun as I do collecting those swagbucks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.