Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Supermarket Flowers Make Me Happy...

As complicated as life gets sometimes I'm really just a simple girl and simplicity in my life is what I strive for.

Simple Joys Like...

A good book that I don't want to put down...

Sitting with a a cup of coffee and a magazine on my deck...

Planting seeds or plants and taking pleasure in watching them grow...

A simple home-cooked meal like roasted chicken and potatoes...

and...

...Supermarket Flowers...

If you read my blog you know that I buy flowers for myself when I grocery shop. I usually do this all winter and even in the summer when my garden is depleted of cut flowers. I'm planning a cutting garden so hopefully I'll have flowers all summer long this year.

I wanted to show you what I do with a $10 Mixed bouquet of flowers and a $5.00 bouquet of Carnations. I look for flowers that are long lasting and Carnations and Mums are the best.

If I buy a mixed bouquet I will usually split it into 2 or 3 vases. A good sized mixed bouquet costs $10.00 in my town but I can sometimes find them for $5.00. I never spend more than $10!

This week I wanted a large bouquet for my dining room table so I left most of the flowers in the bouquet. The light-pink Lilly's turned out beautiful and I could have taken them out and they would have looked really pretty on their own.



Out of the same bouquet I removed all the carnations and some of the mums and cut them short to make a small display in a square votive cup. Perfect for my little butcher block island in my kitchen.




...and my favorite way to display flowers...in a large-mouth canning jar. This $5.00 bouquet of Carnations looks like spring to me and this bouquet will last approximately 10 days!! The flowers are just now opening up and will be spilling over the side of the jar in a day or two.

Flowers are my winter treat to myself. We have to do nice things for ourselves sometimes and Moms don't do that enough!

Jackie

14 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I buy them at the grocery store too:) And in the warmer months there is an awesome dealer/farmer that sells them for such a great price that I have to bring them home. And then there are the garden flowers too. Flowers always make me happy:)
    ~Debra
    Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! And I love your arrangements. I'm always tempted by the bouquets at ALDI (well, when they're fresh that is.. lol). Next time they look good, I'm going to treat myself. Inspiring post, as always! :) -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty arrangements Jackie! I like to treat myself and the house to flowers too when I do my grocery shopping. Somedays when winter is just too overwhelming those flowers have saved my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!

    Enjoy!

    We can't have any cut flowers in the house. They "attack" our allergies.

    -pout-

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Tammy stole my comment. I was going to say Aldi flowers too. Anyway next time at Aldi's I might just buy myself some flowers. There I've said it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love having fresh flowers in the house too, and I received some for Valentines day. They're something I haven't splurged on since we made the big move and I do miss them.

    Yours are beautiful!

    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! So pretty! Nothing says welcome home after a long day than a pretty vase of fresh flowers ...
    Well OK ... maybe a cute hubby holding the flowers would be better yet! ;->

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say I have NEVER bought myself flowers at the grocery store. Our small town grocery store doesn't carry fresh flowers. At least if they do I've not noticed them? But what a TREAT! I am going to look next time I go (I too hate grocery shopping) and if they have some for under $10 I'm going to treat myself! I love it when just a little something makes my day. I need to put more effort into finding those "little things." Thanks for the GREAT POST! Have a wonderfully blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never do this! What a great thing that all of us moms should be doing! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty - a room comes alive with bunches of fresh flowers!

    I'm planning a cutting garden this year too - why I've not done one before is a mystery to me. Shop flowers are so expensive (but they're worth it!!)

    Jeanne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi jackie.

    love the sweet pink carnations in the mason jar. simple pretties.

    have to tell ya that my hubby asked me today ...just how many mags do you get....lol. i have no idea....oops.

    my best friend and i from high school....got each other addicted to mags. her screen name on aol a long time ago was magsaddict.....and back during high school we would sit in study hall and study glamour, mademoiselle, and seventeen inch by inch. now i do that with decorating and gardening mags.

    ps....i am still trying to get thru reading your blog....the power outage post was so true. last summer we lost power during a big early evening thunderstorm. our neighbors and us all came out on our front porches and enjoyed the storm together. it was so fun to cheer on the thunder and lightening together....you should have heard the moans when the electric came back on...lol.

    when we lost power one evening this winter we listened to huckleberry finn on audiobook and sat around the fireplace. we had to finish dinner by cooking on the grill during a snowstorm....

    i would say that some of our best memories of this home were when the power went off....

    dj

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE grocery store flowers! They are such a lovely boost on a winter day. My hubby brought me a bunch three weeks ago, and they are just now fading. Love em. My favorite is your canning jar...so simple and homey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.