Friday, February 26, 2010

Anticipating Beauty and Growth...

One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show

The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. ~George Bernard Shaw


My garden is one of the areas where I express my creativity the most. I have a real garden. Weeds. Plants that don't do well. Plants that shouldn't have been planted because they take over. Kids and dogs tromping on newly sprouted blooms. Like the first quote says though, the anticipation of what the garden is going to look like is the best part for me. I almost always buy very small shrubs and plants because the waiting and watching is what makes it fun. I'm not interested in instant gratification when it comes to gardening.

I need to remember this in the rest of my life too. Planting a seed or small seedling is an act of faith. I put it in the dirt and I expect and hope that it's going to grow and produce a beautiful bloom or a tasty vegetable. Hasn't God done the same thing with me? He gave me gifts and He is waiting for me...watching to see what I'll do with them. It's up to me to carry out the plan He has for me. Like my garden...I'm real...flaws and all. I wonder...when He is waiting and watching me...is the anticipation of what I will become the best part for Him too?

On my bookshelf this week...my interests seem to be all things English lately...I'm thoroughly enjoying every minute I spend with Jane Austen and the anticipation of beginning to work in my garden is increasing every day. Cottage gardening. Simple. Informal. Beautiful.





...and the simplifying and de-cluttering continues. The too-large country table in our dining room has been replaced by a small table with clean lines. Simple.



Have a great weekend!

Jackie

17 comments:

  1. I found something very refreshing here this morning as I read, thank you!

    Walking with HIM,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put Jackie, a good perspective to keep in mind and I'm real too!

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. A heartfelt and beautiful reminder (as I sit here watching the snow)that spring and gardening await. My garden last year was a huge lesson for me--not merely in growing vegetables, but so much so in matters of life and hope and miracles. I can't wait to do it all over again. (And thank you for your comment on my blog today. I really appreciate the kind words.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real gardener here too.. lol. Enjoyed this post as always, and I adore your dining room! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Jackie. Gardening can be very creative and therapeutic too - there's nothing like getting your hands in the soil, planting something and watching it grow.
    The weather has taken a turn for the worse here today so no opportunities for getting out in the garden yet ...

    Have a good weekend.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post Jackie! You are very talented with expressing yourself through words.

    I love what you said about wondering if God enjoys with anticipation watching us to see what we will become. Such a wonderful word picture tied to the garden.

    I know for certain that I am going to continue to enjoy visiting your blog and reading your posts. You inspire me in many ways and get me so excited for the new blooms to come soon.

    Hope your weekend is filled with wonderful things.

    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great analogy ... Our garden and God's.

    I remember a year not too long ago when summer came and our garden had never looked so good. I relished it ... treasured it.
    But that same summer 2 weird storms hit and trees were stripped and felled, scarring my paradise. Later that winter another storm toppled our beautiful maple tree that framed our cottage with it's lovely shape and breathtaking fall foliage.

    That year my life unfortunately mimicked the devastation my garden saw.

    It's taken some time, but we both survived and are starting to thrive again, thanks to patience, endurance and God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a sweet thought. i pray my soil is fertile
    and open to receiving whatever seeds He wants
    to plant!

    i adore gardening and jane austen, too!

    blessings,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home is beautiful! And I love Jane Austen's writing...very clever! Fun pics of your reading stack! :)

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are kindred spirits I think. I love everything to do with planting and gardening- except weeding but I even enjoy that once I get around to it.

    I haven't linked my 'work blog/website' to my personal one yet (which is the one you visit) but I have a photo of one of the most gorgeous cottagy gardens I've ever seen on my work blog this week. You can see it if you go to designresourceutah dot com. Joy Creek Nursery in Oregon has AMAZING gardens. Serious plant envy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is just lovely. So warm and inviting. I just want to sit at that table with you and have a nice cup of tea. I'll bring the scones!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Jane Austen books. I've been watching the movies on PBS lately.

    I'm loving this post. As spring approaches I'm getting excited about vegetable gardening. Also really getting into "blooming where I'm planted". :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you are reading Jane Austen--she is perfect for this time of year! Did you catch any of the PBS productions the past 2 months---their Emma was a decent version I thought. I saw your photos of MU in previous posts--I'm an alum!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pics of your table and room! Very pretty! :)

    And...I have NEVER read a Jane Austen book....yet! Is that weird? I want to...just never have had the chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i genuinely enjoy all your posting kind, very exciting,
    don't give up as well as keep penning as it simply good worth to look through it,
    impatient to find out even more of your current writing, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post too and share the "being real" sentiment completely! I can't wait to get going with my garden, although, truthfully, I'm starting over a bit in the new house. I want a bit more instant gratification than I have in the past. It takes so long to establish a garden. = ) AND don't you just love organizing and decluttering and nesting and turning the dreams into actions?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.