Friday, May 14, 2010

This Town...My Life


This town I live in is a college town. Approximately 30,000 students roll in here every August and out again in May. In August of this year I will have been here for 21 years. I've seen a lot of changes in that time. The clothing styles I was wearing when I rolled into town in 1989 are almost exactly the same as what I see the students wearing on campus today. It doesn't seem like that long ago but it's been long enough that those clothing styles have come back in fashion 21 years later. A lot of changes but much is the same.

I don't know if I ever really planned to stay here. I planned to go to school and I didn't really have any plans other than that. School didn't work out right away and I ended up working for this company that was unbelievable, to say the least. 1989 was right smack in the upswing of the tech bubble and I got to be part of it by working for a very successful software development company right here in this town. We got to experience much of what the software companies were offering their employees on the coasts. Amazing. A great experience for a young, small town girl. I learned a lot that would serve me well in my future and in those years I also grew to love this town.

Today, as I walked across campus and saw some students in their graduation robes I was thinking how lucky we are to live in this College Town. My town isn't huge by some standards...approximately 100,000 people plus those extra 30,000 or so students. This town is huge compared to the rural area where I'm from. It seemed practically city-like when I moved here 21 years ago. It doesn't feel that way to me now. We have most of the amenities of bigger cities including a traffic problem on most of the major streets. I count myself lucky to live in such a diverse town with different cultures and religions. I love that my children have friends who speak another language at home and were born in different countries. It opens up their world and teaches them to be accepting of people who are different than they are. And what I find is that this town isn't really big at all. For the most part, people are friendly, helpful and it's not uncommon to run into people you know almost everywhere you go.

So, in the past few months I've been evaluating my life. My work, my education, my goals and dreams. I'm 21 years into my work life and, God willing, I have approximately 21 more years before I retire. 21 years is a long time in some respects and a very short amount of time in others. The fact that 21 years here in this town have already passed by tells me how fast time is moving for me.

So how do I want to spend the next 21 years? I'm not sure if I will ever completely know what my career path should be. As a woman in my 40's I know where my strengths are and where they are not. I know I don't want to waste time on selfish endeavors. I don't want to climb career ladders. It's not about me. I want to make a difference in someone else's life. I want to help other women know their value in this world and no matter what their circumstances are they can have a life they have dreamed about. I have some ideas about how to do that and maybe I'll see them become reality sometime in the next 21 years

There are possibly 1000's of students graduating this weekend here in this town. They are starting their new lives right now. Isn't that exciting? They are moving on to new endeavors and probably even new towns. So, what about this town? This town will get 1000's of new students in the fall who are excited to start their own new journey. And...this town is my home. I can't imagine living anywhere else. Most of my new journeys have taken place right here. Although I have dreams of things I want to do... my most important journey is with my children. I look forward to seeing where their lives take off right here... from this town.

**photo--senior sendoff is a tradition held before graduation every year. Seniors run through the columns away from campus symbolizing their new journeys as alumni instead of students. Also, every August the new freshmen run through the columns toward campus symbolizing their new journey as college students.

13 comments:

  1. I know that spot on campus well and I enjoyed this thoughtful post. I love your town and stayed a brief time after graduating, leaving about 8 years before you arrived. I am stunned by how it has grown whenever we visit, and yet since it's a college town, so many things remain the same.

    How way leads on to way and we end up in places we hadn't planned on going seems the most fascinating part of the journey. I've found over time that one way or another I'm always exactly where I am supposed to be. ;)

    Mary
    Flat Rock Creek Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally love this post. I know that spot well and my HB did the run three times! We lived there for 15 years. I love how introspective you are and how much you know about yourself and the young age of 40!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving post Jackie. Sometimes when CH and I come to your town to shop, enjoy a great meal or take his Mom to the health food store we take a stroll through the campus and it settles and revives me. It is a beautiful campus and takes me back. We didn't go to college there, we went to college in the southwest part of the state but it still takes me back :) It is refreshing to hear how happy you are with your life and where you call home and I love the energy and willingness you have to help build a future for the young women in your town through your career. Oh, and heard you had some sun there yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it still seems city-like to me! :) I love it though. Your "city" has it all! Even though we're only an hour away, we just don't get there often enough to suit my tastes these days.

    I enjoyed your reflections... great post, Jackie. -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tradition......you seem so content with your life and I love that as well........:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tradition......you seem so content with your life and I love that as well........:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be exciting to live in a college town. So much possibility in all the young people that arrive each year and in the graduates as they leave. It must be very thought provoking to be among so many young adults, setting goals and trying to figure out their direction in life. It sounds like you're in a good place and are open to new possibilities, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie: What a great post. I too live in a College Town. Population, somewhere around 30,000; students add another 2000. (Small town, small college.) It's the town I grew up in and vowed I would never live in; it's the town I returned to gladly 20 years ago when my boys were little so they could grow up in a small town, it's the town I have watched themselves launch from into the wider world.

    I know I never planned on living here. Ever. I know I cannot imagine living anywhere else. (Well, almost.) I know I am grateful to be here now, trying to live every moment to as full as measure as I am able.

    I love your thoughts about your next 21 years and what you want to do (and not do). I am looking forward to it unfolding and hope I am around to see much of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Running through the columns... What a great tradition.

    Very insightful entry, my Dear. Looking at things, from a certain half-way-point. Best to you, with making general plans.

    Btw, I too live in a city with a college. In fact, when I step out our front door and cross the street, I am on campus. Which part of it/campus, is still woods, thankfully!!! [We in this area, do work on keeping it that way, of course. By letting the college know of our views.]

    Anyway, I am not so thrilled with my city being a "college town." I'm one of the old and crochety ones, who say that the city was here, well before the college. And the college should not be allowed to do so much "taking over our city," as it seems to do.

    College students are allowed to vote in local elections, and change the outcomes, and that feels unfair. Yes, of coursed they have a right to vote... By absentee ballot in their OWN city elections! Grrrr...

    Yep, I'm one of the old and crochettttty ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been doing some self evaluation lately too...making changes where needed. Hope you are having a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jackie, what a stimulating environment a college town is!
    To see young adults beginning a path that will lead them through life is a terrific experience.
    Our son and his wife lived in one for 5 years and there were so very many activities we got to do that we never would have.
    Congratulations on a wonderful career!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jackie,
    I sometimes fantasize that if I knew then what I knew now, and had a chance to do it over again, I would do so much better. But then I think of the trials and tribulations that have actually shaped the way I think and who I am that I'm glad I can't go back. I've "earned" this spot.

    I would imagine a college town is a great place to live and work...It looks like a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love knowing my neighborhood, my grocery store, my stomping ground. running into friends and knowing their children. love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.