Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Random Randomness...




The sun is finally shining here. It seems like it's been weeks since we've seen the sun. Over the weekend, Pat was complaining about his dreary mood and was blaming it on the dreary weather. I reminded him that we choose to be happy and we shouldn't let the weather play any part in it. I admit this is really easy for me to say in the middle of May when I know that the dreariness won't last long. Being able to look out the window and see green grass and flowers instead of ice and snow definitely helps. If I can say this in February then I have really accomplished something.

I've been doing lots of gardening. I'm still harvesting lettuce every other day. Thank you, Patti, for the delicious salad and dressing recipe. See below for the recipe! My peas, zucchini, peppers and eggplant are all doing really well. I now have a second raised garden bed (10x4) and it will be filled with different tomato plants and possibly carrots very soon. I have also ventured into the land of Topsy-Turvy. Have you seen these planters? I have two of them now and Pat and I are experimenting. They look cute hanging by the raised beds and it will be fun to see if they produce anything.

There are only a couple more weeks left of school for the boys. Kobe is so ready to get out. This hasn't been the best year for him. His teacher is....a... challenge. We're hoping for a better 4th grade year.

I've been questioning my working again. It's so hard. Kyler has been stuck to me like glue for the last few weeks and especially this last weekend. Every day he says he wants me to pick him up from school (it's in the middle of the day and Pat picks him up) and he wants to be with me all the time and doesn't want me to go to work. He is missing his Mommy a lot lately. And I'm missing being with him! The guilt moves in when I think that I was home with Kobe when he was this age until he went to kindergarten. Kyler has missed all that time with me that Kobe had and now he only has one year left before he starts kindergarten. But, I have good health insurance...Pat is self employed and we need health insurance! (note sarcasm here)
Blah! That's all I'm going to say on that topic for now.

The sun is shining and it's 70 degrees. Guess I'd better get out in it!

Here is the recipe...

Fresh Lettuce and Spinach Salad
head lettuce, or leaf lettuce
fresh spinach
1 green pepper cut into rings
diced tomatoes
1 sweet rings cut into rings
1 stalk celery diced
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
Dressing
1 c. cider vinegar
1 c. oil
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. dry italian salad dressing mix
salt
pepper
garlic
Mix and pour over.




14 comments:

  1. love your flowers in that container. clever! can't wait to get our garden planted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salad dressing looks perfect for spring. And how quickly the school year is coming to a close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that planter, Jackie!! And I totally agree about the weather affecting moods. It's a choice, but still... arrrggghh.. I've struggled with all this rain & chill lately. And I have NO veggie garden planted yet. Still too wet :( Enough woe is me... lol! Great post. Patti's salad recipe sounds delicious. I will try it! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how I started the post with the "choose happiness" spin and ended with the "woe is me". Guess it's real life!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those topsy-turvy planters are fun.

    The weather is perking up here too and we are promised another lovely weekend - it does make such a difference to how you feel.

    Your kitchen garden is really coming along Jackie and I like the sound of Patti's dressing.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sawa those topsy turvy planters for Strawberries too. What did you plant in yours? I had my salad for dinner again tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post.... will have to try that salad recipe and your flower arrangement in that feeder is wonderful --- I'll have to check out the barn for some similar objects.... very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recipe sounds delicious, am always looking for different salad dressings......your weather and planting season is much further along than ours.....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunshine again today Jackie! I have a terrible time with my mood and I get really cranky when there is an extended time of darkness. I loved yesterday!! SunSunSun! I like the flower container too-sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband was always self-employed, and one of our son is now, as well. Same business. I never worked and neither does d-i-law, at this time. She stays home with the children.

    We have always had to manage to get our own Health Insurance. And we had to provide for our own retirement. It's all just part of our life. It's always been, he's worked hard, and found a way. And my part was to not squander money or need to "keep up with the Jones's." And to take care of home and family. And we've always been equal partners.

    None of this is any reflection on you continuing to work, or not. Just a different view on the whole issue.

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your planter and I hope you come to terms with your working situation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jackie. As always, you inspire me. I want some flowers to plant, NOW! Usually we can't do that here until Memorial Day, just too risky for frost, but I'm thinking I will try this weekend! Now then, regarding being a working mom (don't you just love that term? As if ALL moms don't work??) I worked outside the home until my boys were 9 and 13. It wasn't my choice but we saw no other way. The last 4 years fortunately were part-time. I never had the hope that I could stay home full-time until a friend supported my wish over lunch and with a few words of encouragement, she gave me the vision to believe that it could actually become a reality. No one had ever talked to me like that before. It was definitely a God thing. Through a number of circumstances, God gave me the desire of my heart and I've never looked back. I've been home full-time since 1993. What a blessing that my teenage sons were able to have their friends hang out here, and I was available to drive them around and attend all their sports stuff. I think one reason I love babysitting two of my grands three full days a week is I'm getting to do some of the stuff I missed in those early years with my own kids. I'm not judging your situation in any way...but just want to give you a little encouragement that God does care about all these little details. And even the big ones like health insurance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true, happiness is a choice and it's a constant challenge to choose wisely, isn't it?

    Your recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    Have a great weekend!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just planted some impatiens too! Cute planter. We had a topsy turvey for a while but no luck--I think we didn't realize how much water they took. Fun to try tho. Recipe sounds great--is that one sweet pepper cut into rings? Just wondering b/c I really am going to try it! Have a wonderful evening.
    Elle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.