Monday, June 7, 2010

Backyard Tales...


Most mornings I wake up an hour or two before anyone else in my house crawls out of their warm and comfy beds. It is my quiet time. I usually spend this time outside on my deck or on the patio beneath my deck. My preference is the patio because it’s more secluded and I’m closer to my gardens where I can gaze at their beauty. However, what usually happens is that I spot a weed and then I lose all track of time and start a weed pulling fest that ends with me covered in dirt and running to the shower to make it to work on time. What I’ve discovered this year, more than any other, is that my quiet time is not quiet and I’m not alone out there in my backyard. So...the Backyard Tales begin today...

A few days ago, early in the morning, I was sitting outside on the patio in my comfy, but cheap, plastic resin chair. It’s a cute chair. I had pulled another chair around to prop my feet on. I was getting ready to dig into my bible study, my coffee was steaming and the yard was quiet for that time of the morning. I had started to read but something caught my eye and when I looked down I was greeted by a dinner plate sized turtle who had come from the Hostas to say hello. I guess I looked friendly enough because he walked up to me, stopped near the chair and then we chatted for awhile. When he had had enough of my rambling he turned around and went back into the Hosta forest. It was an unusual experience for my backyard and my new friend hasn’t been seen since that day. He seemed like a nice enough turtle but he did have a little tail so his friendliness could have all been a ruse to get me to pet him so he could snap my finger off. It’s just as well...he hasn’t made an appearance again...he may have moved on to another yard...or... has he? Let’s just say I’m a little more cautious during my weed pulling expeditions now than I have been in the past.

**Top Photo - the front facing view from the plastic resin chair. No backyard photo is complete without a duck floatie in the middle of the yard

**Bottom Photo - The hosta forest where the turtle may or may not live.


Until Next Time...

Jackie

10 comments:

  1. I love the view!! Especially love hostas and yours are beautiful!! Mine haven't matured that much yet, but they are getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And who carried the biggest part of that conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, love it, love it! Making me wish I had a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie your back yard and hosta gardens are beautiful but I have to tell you the duck floatie is the cherry on the top of the green garden sundae! The turtle, I don't know. If it even looked like a snapper I probably woulda screamed like a little school girl :) And isn't early morning just the most exquisite outside time?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely morning ritual. I just love your encounter with the turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely view; it alone would make me late every day!

    I think your turtle's cousin stopped by our house, he wasn't quite as friendly. He was on a serious mission to get somewhere and we were all in his (or her) way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Tale of the Turtle Visit! Precious...

    And what a pretty new Header.

    ^_^
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your backyard is BEAUTIFUL. And, I love the new header on your blog. Quiet time is important, and I don't get enough of it. One of many things I am striving for this summer. Quit time to sit and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful garden you have! So peaceful. I LOVE that you have a turtle visitor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Cute Turtle Story
    and Nice Photo!!!

    I really enjoy visiting
    your blog from time to time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.