Monday, June 14, 2010

Never Major on The Minors...


A friend asked me recently how it is that I don't get my feathers ruffled that easily and how I let things slide. Things that would anger and frustrate her. I didn't have a great answer for her other than I purposefully, many years ago, decided to only focus on things that really matter to me. In the past, I would get angry at small, inconsequential things. Things that really didn't matter that much. I would worry about what someone said about me, what someone said to me or what tone they took with me...sometimes for days. What I figured out was that this was my issue. It's a joy killer! I never had a word or phrase for my shift in thinking until today...

Never Major on The Minors


In my quest to get my spiritual groove back I've been reading Life Management for Busy Women by Elizabeth George and I was delighted when I came to page 45 and read the following paragraph:

Never major on the minors. Precious reader, these five words, revolutionized my life! They launched a complete spiritual makeover in my life that is continuing to this day. I still, these several decades later, evaluate my every decision and activity and minute by this wise standard - "Never major on the minors." They move me to hold each activity up to the Lord and ask in prayer, "Father, does this fit into Your plan for my life?" Will this help me to be a better steward of the time and abilities You've given me to serve You? Does this contribute to my good and to the good of others? Is it worthy of my time?

She defined what I've been doing all these years. That last question...Is it worthy of my time? This is what I say to myself when I feel the pull of anger, frustration or other emotion that can move my joy to another place altogether. This practice, that is now defined, has made all the difference in my life.

Until Next Time,


Jackie

Photo - Little League still-life from 2009

7 comments:

  1. Very special post, Jackie. Thank you for sharing. Isn't it special to know and practice in our spirit something that we can't put a title on, but we keep just "doing the next thing" with that principle leading us. Then somewhere down the road God has His own way of "labeling" it for us! Great example of that today in your post, Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful message you've shared with us today. I will print this post up and put it on my bulletin board. Your message 'Don't major on the minors' came to me at the perfect time. Thank you! ~amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Terrific post Jackie! To add to this, my mom always says" If Christ returned tomorrow would this matter ?" Well most certainly we can easily say no to most everything when we look at it this way. Of course an example of what would matter would be if someone wasn't saved. Asking ourselves that question can easily put new light on what we're thinking. Thanks for the post today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very wise words indeed. I will *try* to take heed.. Lord knows, I need to :) Thanks for the great reminders, Jackie! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Jackie! This is something I've had in the back of my mind and have been slowly trying to build upon. It's not always easy and it doesn't come naturally overnight but it's a goal worth striving for.

    Thanks! ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a though provoking post. I do think I'll read the book you mentioned. I am also guilty of many times getting worked up over things that are not of any real importance. Thanks for the reminder. Love your blog by the way. Just stumled upon it today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I love Elizabeth George! She is so insightful. Thanks for sharing that with us. That is going to be my mantra for the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.