Friday, July 2, 2010

Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses Yearning To Breathe Free...


The New Colossus

as engraved at the base of the Statue of Liberty
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
by Emma Lazarus, New York City, 1883



For further information:

National Park Service Statue of Liberty National Monument

A nice site for immigration stories that can be enjoyed by kids and adults at Scholastic.com


Until Next Time...and Happy 4th of July!

Jackie

4 comments:

  1. Would love to see that beautiful lady in person someday. Happy 4th to you and yours! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the privilege of seeing the Statute of Liberty a couple of years ago. Truly brings tears to your eyes. To think of what that sight must have been to all those coming to America for a better life. My great-great-great grandparents came to this country in 1857 from Scotland. I am proud to be an American. No, this country is not perfect. But there is no place on earth I would rather be. God Bless America!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that post! I hope you had a lovely Fourth. I've not visited Lady Liberty myself, but hope to one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackie,
    Found your blog through Katy at Country Blossom. Love this post, I've always wanted to get to New York and see the statue of Liberty in person. Hope you have a great evening.
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.