Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Organizing With A Dash of Cute...

I'm an Organizer.  A Planner.  I like to know what I'm doing next week...even next month.  My job requires that I be organized...but really...it's who I am.  I find that if I don't write things in my planner they get forgotten.  This may mean that I have too much going on in my life.  Yes...that's probably exactly what it means.  However, I like to plan and organize my time...files...and documents.

About Technology.
Technology is fun for me.  I like learning new software, online tools, etc.  I really enjoy participating in social media like Facebook, Twitter and Blogging, of course. I use online tools like Google Docs every day as I switch between my home office and my office on campus.  All of our documents at work are electronic and we use very little paper.  That all works really well for me.  Things are easy to find and they don't get lost or damaged like in the old days when I first started working 20+ years ago. 

But...

I'm a tactile person.

I like to write.

...with a pen...

...on Paper!

Someday I may actually have an iPhone or a Blackberry.  However, I'm pretty sure you won't see me punching in my calendar appointments and to-do lists on the latest smart phone.  Writing it out every day helps me to process what I need to focus on and it forces me to SLOW DOWN.

I use a planner, notebook/journal and a binder for planning and organizing.  They are portable and everything is in one place.

Cute is important too!  I've used all the planners like Franklin Covey and Day-Runner, etc.  They work well, but they are expensive and the affordable ones aren't that cute...at least to me. 

This is how I organize my time...

I use the Monthly Calendar to record appointments, events, special dates, etc.  Each week I transfer that information to my Daily Page. I try to set aside some time on Sunday to look at the upcoming week and transfer appointments and tasks to the appropriate days.  This gets adjusted every morning, though, as I review what I finished the day before and what needs to be done that day.



My Daily Page is in the Notebook/Journal that goes with me everywhere.  This journal not only has my Daily Page but it is also where I record my thoughts on the current bible study I'm doing, grocery lists, meal plans, monthly budgets, and daily notes about my life, etc.  Needless to say, I'm lost without it. My Daily page for tomorrow is below.  Near the top of the page I list my appointments, dinner menu and anything important that I need to remember for the day.  I separate the columns for my work tasks and my personal tasks.  I like having both lists on one page because sometimes I'm able to combine tasks and it helps to have it in one place.  Because this daily page is also in my journal it's easy to make notes about what I'm thinking about during my bible study and transfer a quote or thought to my daily page and it's a reminder to me all day. 



I now use a Binder for my work projects and I also have binders at home for filing.   I don't use file folders in drawers except to file in an archive file drawer once a project is complete.  The binder I use for work is the one in the photo above.  Every project I'm working on has a tab in the binder.  I use binder pockets to store documents or 3 hole punch the documents for each project.  For example, the event I just finished has a tab and all the contracts are there along with agendas, participant lists, menus, etc.  The binder saves space and it's portable.  It goes with me for my work at home and to all of our events.

The binder I use at home also replaces file folders in a drawer.  I have a large 5 inch binder for each year.  In the binder is a tab for each important document that comes to our home.  For example; home mortgage, homeowners insurance, bills, bank statements, etc.  As these documents come in the mail, I just throw them into the binder (usually in a binder pocket instead of 3-hole punching) and it's done.  The binder sits on the shelf for approximately 5 years and then I can discard the contents and re-use the binder.  This system saves space in my home and it's so easy for me to find what I'm looking for when I need it.

I'm not an expert by any means, but these ideas work for me.  I enjoy hearing about how others organize their life so I hope you'll share your own ideas in the comments!!

Until Next Time,

Jackie

8 comments:

  1. Great ideas. I have to keep a day planner to keep up with everything!
    Blessings,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so wonderfully organized! I am in the process of figuring out September and all the things I need to juggle. I am a paper and pen girl too...I have been since I was a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still keep a paper calendar--one where you see the month at a time. Too many times it is too densely scrawled upon--that's when I know it is time to take three giant steps back and think about what I am doing with my life.

    Other than that, I pretty much depend on scraps and notes--"milk, OJ," "Warren, call Tom Smith re: marimba"--things like that.

    I have a writing notebook---just an inexpensive "theme book" you can buy just about anywhere--that I try to carry with me most times, except when I am headed to the courthouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post Jackie! Wish I were organized like you! I find that it is important to use pen and paper. I think using all of these electronic gadgets is shrinking our brains! LOL. But seriously, it has to be contributing to our lack of concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THis is a wonderful post for me because I've been thinking on different ways to calendar our life. Stick with paper? Go to dry erase? Use a hanging one? Or a day runner I can carry with me? Like you, I love paper.
    Thanks for some food for thought! :o)
    Elle
    PS Loved the Psalm you had written at the bottom of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas, Jackie! I need an organizing consultant. Are you available? :) I really *really* like the idea of filing important papers in the big binders for each year. My 'monthly' file is so out of control.. I can't stand it. That might be the easiest way to un-bury myself yet =) Thanks for the tips!! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome tips! I am anticipating going back to work soon and feel like a technological dinosaur! Okay, so I'm not that bad but I do need an update. Still, sometimes low-tech is still the way to go. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very obsessed with to-do lists and planners as well. I don't have a blackberry either, and I love to write down things in my binder/organizer. I find myself drawn to the notebook aisles when we do shopping. I have a notebook very much like yours, and then a separate one that I keep decorating ideas in. I use it to write down my decorating to-do list and keep pictures in it to show me just the idea I'm looking for. I think we're one in the same!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.