Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Favorite Thanksgiving Prayers and Traditions...



One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving, besides all the great food, is our Thanksgiving Tablecloth!  I spread out a white tablecloth and everyone who has dinner with us or stops by on Thanksgiving signs the tablecloth and records what they are thankful for.  It is a treasure!! I don't have mine out yet...so no photo...but here is an example.

I've also collected a few simple prayers for Thanksgiving. 

My prayer for you this holiday is that your Thanksgiving is filled with warmth, food, good health, family and friends. 




O God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen.
- Samuel F. Pugh






Thank you for the food we eat,
Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you God for everything.




Thanksgiving Prayer

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food,
For love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)




Happy Thanksgiving!

Jackie

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful. I love the beautiful prayer you included (not the children's blessing which I have heard before). I am so moved by it. I think that I will put that on my sidebar, because it is always true.

    Have a truly wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a blessed season!

    Janet

    www.homeward4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Jackie to you and your family! Enjoy this lovely day here in MissouREE :) And, yes, thank you God for everything!

    I took my Mom-in-Law to the Randolph Mercantile, it left me speechless and both of us a lot lighter on cash!! Thank you for the tip, it is a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Lord, help us remember you do not ask us to heal everything, but rather simply find a way in which we may lighten someone's burden."

    Happy Thanksgiving, Jackie! May your table be full of love and good food.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.