Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Making Your House (or apartment...or duplex) Into A Home...

Stamp your personality on your home.
Invest some love in it.
Give it something of yourself.
Your colors.
Your pictures.
Your favorite objects.
In return, it will welcome you
and your friends.
~Patrick Lindsay


I like coming home to a neat (although not necessarily very clean) and tidy home and making my home a comfortable place to be has always been a priority to me.  I have lived in apartments, duplexes, and finally a house that we bought 10 years ago.  Wherever we have lived, I always arranged the items that I had in the most pleasing way that I could.  I don't have expensive taste (thank goodness) and most of the items in our home I have collected from flea markets, garage sales and from eBay.  I remember walking into homes when I was in my early 20's and thinking that my house would never look like that.  Several times when that happened, the homeowner would say, "oh, your house will look just like you want it to someday because it takes years to collect all these items".  That is exactly what happened...because here I am 20 years later and my house, for the most part, is close to what I had envisioned.  It's never done and I'm sure I'll always be checking out the local flea markets...but that's the fun part anyway!  



Home is where the heart is.


My little office nook in the kitchen corner...
My new gallery wall in the foyer...some photos I have taken and Wal-Mart frames.
Another view of the kitchen...
A little primitive and a little industrial...my favorite decorating combination...

My Grandma's old chair in the corner of the living room.  2 handmade and lumpy toile pillows and one dollar store pillow.

Thanks for Stopping By,

Jackie

9 comments:

  1. I've never seen those two styles combined...lol. Your home seems warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Paint and plants are my favorite things to change things up! Thank goodness not too expensive as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a little side note...see the old scales in the photo labeled "another view of the kitchen"?? If you look closely you'll see the price tag is still hanging from the scale. I've had it at least 3 years. I'm so happy with my bargains sometimes I can't part with the price tag. LOL! Especially if it's an old grungy one like this one is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great!

    I am stopping by from the I ♥ Blogging hop, thank you for joining our hop! www.mooseandtater.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home looks so warm and comfortable Jackie. I love the combination of styles in the kitchen. You are so right, home is truly where the heart is and it feels really great to pick up a bargain!

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks perfect!!! What a great idea.

    Nancy

    I'm your newest follower! If you'd like to follow back, you can find me at http://thatsoundslikecrazy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You home is cozy and inviting, Jackie. I love the photo display, and your little desk nook. It is just as I imagined, warm and friendly, just like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from Frog Hollow Farm. Your home looks so comfy and inviting. I love the combination of primitive and industrial - the stainless shelves really give you a lot of storage and what I love most - the easy access to things! Well done. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your stuff! I'm at the place where I feel like I need a new set of eyes to come over and help me "see" things I can do differently. We bought a new couch for the family room and I know I need to ditch two old worn out chairs, but I have no idea WHAT I should get! I'm usually not LIKE that??? Is that an oak pie safe in your kitchen? Looks something like what I am using in the family room to hold notebooks and other stuff I want to hide. LOVE the scales!! By the way, you have a blog award over at http://mistressofmydomain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.