Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Reason For Dandelions...

 


Why spend my time ridding my yard of dandelions when the backyard provides a virtual field of flowers for a sweet 5 year old boy to give to his Mom as he softly says, "Here is a beautiful flower for you, Mom."  "I Love You".



O DANDELION 

O Dandelion, yellow as gold, what do you do all day?
“I just wait here in the tall, green grass, ’till the children come to play.”
O Dandelion, yellow as gold, what do you do all night?
“I wait and wait, while the cool dew falls, and my hair grows long and white.”
And what do you do when your hair grows white, and the children come to play?
“They take me in their dimpled hands, and blow my hair away!”
- by Marlys Swinger 



9 comments:

  1. If the little guy needs more yellow in his bouquet, he can visit my yard!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always sweet when the little ones brings momma a bouquet of flowers even if they are dandelions. I remember those days well. I would put the little bouquet in a small vase and act like they were the finest roses. And with the sweet little smiles that came with the gift, they were just as precious to me as flowers from the florist! Love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am married to a man who cringes at the sight of the first dandelion. Me? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is the one flower i can grow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Following you from the blog hop! Hope you visit My Cajun blog and return the follow!
    - Jessica @ http://cajunlicious.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids are happy to find them for me too! ALL over our yard. :)

    Thanks for visiting and following A Helicopter Mom! I'm following back now.

    Have a great day!
    Mickey
    A Helicopter Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom recited this poem to me often during my childhood. I of course found myself reciting it to my children when they were young, though I didn't have it memorized as well as she did. I wonder if my children will be saying it to their kids someday?
    Thanks for a sweet post that brings sweet memories.
    Laura
    http://lauranell.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my boys were little guys they would bring me dandelions in bunches as if they were roses.
    I would put them in a tiny vase with water.
    I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss the days of blowing the white puffy seedling dandelions, making a wish. I always knew it would come true...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.