Tuesday, May 31, 2011

When The Big Wind Blows - Reflecting on the Joplin Tornado

I've hesitated writing about the tornado that devastated Joplin, MO last week because I have needed time to process what has happened there.  There are so many tragic stories...but stories of heroism and hope, as well.  

An emergency worker carries a girl from the remains of the Academy Sports in Joplin...
 
Joplin is practically in our backyard...3 hours away...but still...our backyard.  In Missouri, tornados happen around us fairly frequently.  I've become accustomed to the sirens going off and taking for granted that it's just another storm...We have a basement, after all, so we're safe...right?

Look around you right now...and think about how it could be gone in a matter of seconds.  Everything you've worked hard for...built...saved for...gone into debt for...and...carried for 9 months and labored 21 hours for...gone in a matter of seconds.  It makes me reconsider everything that I thought was important.  

I've been inspired by watching how the people of Joplin...and Missouri...and the Country...are responding to this tragedy.  It gives me Hope.

Hundreds of volunteers line up on May 23rd at Missouri Southern State College to wait for their work assignments...


This devastating event...along with other events in the past year remind me that things don't matter.  As long as I have a roof over head, my children are healthy and safe, food on the table and job to go to...I am Blessed.  I don't know why these things happen or why God allows this kind of thing...but I know that people can come out stronger because of tragedies.  When we witness something like this...it makes us stop and think about our own lives.  Our differences of opinion regarding religions or political affiliations or whether homeschooling or public school is better, what neighborhood we live in or what kind of car we drive, what color of curtains to hang in the living room or what kind of purse I carry...it all doesn't matter.  

Being grateful for what we do have and helping people in their time of need...showing Love for all the people God Created.  Now...that's the Good Stuff!

A church severely damaged in the tornado...the Cross still standing...

Togetherness.

Jackie

*photos courtesy of the Commercial Appeal (Memphis, Tennessee)

6 comments:

  1. It has been hard viewing the devastation and it does make us stop and be thankful. I just found out today that arefocusedlife.blogspot.com was affected by the storm. I did not know she lived in Joplin. Their business was lost but not their home. It will take so long to rebuild their lives. I am praying for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to wrap my head around the devastation of Joplin. Then I try to imagine my house as well as the entire neighborhood gone.

    I can't even imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well put, Jackie. It's still so hard to process it all. Could have easily been any of us. I think I've had at least a short cry every day since the Joplin tornado. Watching the stories, the heroic measures, the losses, the memorial. Yet, I still find myself a little whiny because it's time to cook a meal again, or do laundry, or... insert anything really. I have to take pause and remember at least I have my loved ones and a home. And I give thanks for what I still have, and prayers for what so many have lost. Love the cross photo - speaks so much! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers go out to all. I just can't imagine where I would start to pick up the pieces.
    Btw, I'm your newest follower from the Follow Me Wednesday Blog Hop.
    ~ Mona : )
    http://moremilestones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Jackie. The cross still standing is a wonderful reminder that the Lord is always with us even through the worst of the storms in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.