Friday, October 21, 2011

Goodbye Gracie...

I was looking forward to attending the National Day On Writing festivities we were hosting yesterday.  I had ideas of writing I wanted to do and was excited about attending a writing marathon to gain some new inspiration.

I didn't get to go.

When I arrived home from work on Wednesday afternoon our little dog, Gracie, was seriously struggling with her life.  She had been sick and was scheduled for some surgery today but she wasn't going to make it that long.  She was in serious pain and she was so weak she couldn't stand up.  Wednesday night we had to take her to the Veterinary Hospital ER and she was immediately placed in their ICU.  She was a sick little girl and was having kidney failure.  After learning of her prognosis, we had to make the hard decision to put her to sleep.  I believe this was the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life.  I know in my head that it was the right thing to do because she was in so much pain and she was 11 years old.  My heart, though, is a different story...

...it is broken.

Now, we have to move forward.  Moving forward with heavy hearts.  We will have to take joy in the memories we have of her...

Gracie was a sweet, lovable and very patient dog.  She loved to snuggle with me every SINGLE time I sat down in the living room.

She would poke her head out of the closed curtains in the living room window to watch us leave.

When I was working at the computer or cooking in the kitchen, she would sit at my feet and whine because she would want me to go snuggle on the couch with her in the living room.  I would have to tell her to "go lay down...I'll be there in a minute" and she would go into the living room to wait for me. 
  
She was always looking for the warm spot and would lay on the deck in the sun or in the foyer on the floor where the sun was shining through the door.   

Patience...she had a lot of it.  A great memory of her is when Kyler was wrapping her up in blankets all the time and how patient she was with all his attention to her   

She was curious about these little babies that we brought home from the hospital.  With both boys we were afraid she was going to jump into the bassinet with them...she wanted to see who these babies were.  She loved the boys!  

Her friendliness and love for every person who came into our home was one of her best qualities.  She didn't know a stranger and wanted to show her love to everyone.
I have so many great memories of her...many more than I can list here.



We Love You Gracie!










Jackie



17 comments:

  1. Again, Jackie.. so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and your family in the loss of beautiful Gracie. I love those pics (what a sweet and loving soul), and your memories you have shared of her. Hugs! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jackie, I am so sorry to hear this sad news. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    Such gorgeous pictures of an affectionate and adorable pet. The love your boys have for her, and she for them, just shines out.

    You will keep those memories in your heart always.

    Jeanne
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about Gracie. This story brought a tear to my eye, I love animals. I know you are heartbroken, but she's not in pain or suffering now. Nice photos of Gracie and your boys. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my little dog about a year and a half ago so my heart feels for you. I'm glad you have so many good memories and that she is no longer in any pain.

    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad to lose a family pet. My heart goes out to you the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad... Sad... We went thru this last January - and just today a memory was brought back. Love those pets like family! Many memories..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jackie, I am so sorry for your great loss of Gracie! She sounds like she was such a wonderful and caring little doggie who loved you so. My heart feels for you and the void she leaves.

    My hugs to you Jackie.
    ♥Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss! It's so hard to say goodbye to a cherished pet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackie I am so sorry for you and your family at the loss of your sweet faced Gracie. What a lovely tribute you have written here and the pictures of her are sweet. My heart knows the sadness you have over the loss of a bestest sweetest pet. I can't know exactly how you feel but I understand the sadness. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww, I'm so very sorry. I can tell she was a treasured member of your family. My prayers are that your broken heart will be healed sweetie.

    Thanks for shain' her story. She sounds like an amazin' pet.

    God bless and have a peaceful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss!! We had to do the same thing with our sweet dog this summer. It breaks your heart! Such an awful thing to have to go through. Glad you guys have such great memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I am so sorry! I also had to let my beautiful faithful companion go a while back and I still get a lump in my throat whenever I say her name. I wish the best for you and your little boys. I enjoy your writing - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jackie, my heart is broken too. Gracie was a DOLL. I know how much you'll miss her. : -( I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jackie!
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Gracie looked like a loving and loyal dog. I had to put my golden down 6 years ago, and it was tough. Now I have Ben, (another golden) and although he didn't necessarily "replace" my other dog, it sure helps. He's the best!

    {{hugs}} to you!!!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to read about Gracie. I know that Gracie was blessed to have you and obviously she blessed you and your whole family. Love her pictures, she looks so adorable. I just found your blog and wanted to comment when I read this.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.