Sunday, January 20, 2013

{A Run-of-the-mill Sinner}

Are you a run-of-the-mill sinner? Am I?

Reading from Luke 6:31-34 (The Message)...

"Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them! If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that's charity? The stingiest of pawn-brokers does that."


I did ask myself what I want people to do for me. I came up with this...I want them to be my friend. Even if they don't think I'm worthy of their friendship...or not good enough...young enough....wealthy enough...driving the right kind of car...living in the right neighborhood...just enough.

When I turn it around I realize sometimes I'm not reaching out to people for much of the same reason that I feel that I'm not reached out to by others. Maybe they aren't who I would think of when I think of someone that I could be friends with. It doesn't seem like we would have anything in common. Yes, I'm real and not perfect...I'm laying it out here today. What happens then is that I miss out on friendships that would probably enrich my life. The same way I feel that I would probably enrich others lives when don't reach out to me.

Luke 6:35-36 (The Message)...
"I tell you, love your enemies (or people who act they are too good for you). Help and give without expecting a return. You'll never--I promise-- regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst. Our Father is kind, you be kind".



I hope you enjoy your Sunday and spend a little timing reaching out to others this week. I'll be working on this in my own life.








**photos taken today from my back deck and taken with my iPad.



2 comments:

  1. Oh Jackie. So very true. Words of wisdom from you. We are all "run of the mill" sinners. We think because we don't do the BIG sins, we're O.K. But God judges us on HIS scale of "good" not ours, and oh boy are we lacking. Thank God for grace and mercy. I too am striving to reach out more. So others may see Jesus in me. Blessings to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good and thought provoking post, Jackie! I think sometimes I hold back from reaching out to others because I fear being rejected. I'm learning though that sometimes even something as an ordinary every day smile can open a door. Smiling is something I can do...and I love the way people respond to the smile differently. Thanks so much for sharing. We've been a couple of sickies here at our house this week and I'm kind of slow at blog reading...but I've certainly enjoyed my time spent here with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.