Monday, January 14, 2013

Garlic Infused Honey {A Cold & Cough Remedy}

I have always steered away from over the counter medication when I'm fighting a cold or sore throat. Most of the time I will take large amounts of vitamin C (3000-5000 mg at the first sign of a cold) and I use home-remedies, teas and natural substances as much as possible. I will resort to OTC medications and antibiotics if necessary, though. This remedy is a new one to me and I decided to try it this past weekend.

I really liked the idea of doing this since I had the garlic and the honey on hand. Garlic is supposed to be a natural immune booster and raw honey is also supposed to be very good for you. The two combined should be a winning home-remedy. I only made a small amount to begin with since my honey supply was low. I will be making a larger quantity this week. Have you made this at your house? How did it work for you?

Here is the recipe:

Garlic Infused Honey


Ingredients:
24 cloves of garlic
Raw Honey

Directions:
Place peeled garlic in a jar and pour honey over the the cloves. Store in a jar for several days until cloves are infused with the honey. Keep in your refrigerator.

At the first sign of a cold or sore throat eat a clove every hour or two for a couple of days. Aim for 6 cloves per day. You can also take the honey on it's own as a cough syrup. A teaspoon of the honey with apple cider vinegar and hot water will make a good "wellness" tea. Add a dash of cayenne pepper to help clear your sinuses.

I hope you are all staying healthy this winter and if you try this please post here on the blog your experiences with it.

Have a great Monday,






1 comment:

  1. Jackie, I pinned a recipe for sore throat stuff, It's lemons and honey. I have made it, but now it needs to stay in the refigerator and marry for a week! I knew I should have planned this sore throat.
    At least we will be sweet when it's all over.
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.