Thursday, February 12, 2009

What about this blogging thing anyway?


Over a year ago I started my first blog. I barely knew what a blog was, but the blogs that I had seen at that point looked really interesting to me because many of them looked like journals. Well, I've been journaling for more than 10 years. I've done all kinds of journals and I continue to write in one almost daily and sometimes more than once a day. Journaling has really helped me to find my relationship with God, prioritize my life, find out things about myself and make decisions. Journaling has also been a way for me to express joy, anger, sorrow, grief, sadness, happiness...you name the feeling and it has probably been in one of my journals! Basically, journaling is how I ground myself every morning and if I miss a day, the whole day just feels "off" somehow.

Anyway, back to blogging. What started as basically an online photo album to share with family and friends has turned into something else entirely.

What is funny and interesting about my blogging experience is that, with the exception of my sister (Hi Chrissy), I don't think anyone from my family or any close friends really read this blog, even though the intention was for them to keep up with our life. That's okay, I call and tell them what is going on whether they want to hear it or not...I think they do.

What is AMAZING though, is that people who I have never met in person are, at least, somewhat interested in what I have to say. I'm still shocked when people comment on a post or send me an email.

What makes this story even better is that through this community of bloggers I have found people who have the same interests as I do. This is something I have never completely found in my "in-person" friends. Most of my friends don't journal and don't understand why I do it. Many of them would never go to a flea market and most of them decorate their homes much differently (read expensive and contemporary here) than I do. Over the years I have heard myself say things like, " I only paid $5.00 for that" or " I got the best deal at the flea market on this old thing". Some of them totally understand that I love that kind of thing and others don't get it. That's okay! Opposites attract, right?

However, I am thrilled to find these bloggers who feel the same way I do about so many things! I am getting so many ideas from you in many different areas and it's really exciting. I'm learning from you everyday. I'm reading about your joys and your pain. I've cried a few times when I've read what you're going through, I've laughed at some things you write because I identify with it, you have helped me to revive my love for crafting (something I have let go over the years) and I'm finding women who are struggling with balancing full-time work and family life just like I am. Although this online community won't replace my "in-person" community, it's still community nonetheless, right?

The reason for this post? Someone asked me why I blog and I didn't have a good, concise answer. I had to write in my journal to figure it out (of course!) and now I know why and so do you!

Thanks for reading!!

5 comments:

  1. Jackie~That was such a nice and insightful post!
    I blog for many of the same reasons.
    I am glad to have come across your blog and getting to know you!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Journaling is my life-line. I truly don't think I could function if it weren't for journaling.

    I've also been thinking lately about why I blog, and I've come up with some of the same reasons as you. I have this desire to connect with others who are going through similar things and also who have similar interests. Family and friends aren't always on the same page, so it's truly great to find others who are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post!~

    I find I have the same connection with bloggers that you have. My real friends are so different from me and even though I love them dearly I don't have the same connect I have with many bloggers who share my same love for antiques, journaling, photography, flea markets, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackie,

    So much of what you said in this post is exactly what I would say about blogging. It is just such a joy to "connect" with so many people in other areas that have the same interest that I do.....thrifting, flea markets, crafting and so much more.♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent post, you wrote what I feel as well. Having a journal for my thoughts has been a part of me since high school days. Blessings, Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.