Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another School Year Has Come And Gone...

We woke up to a warm and sunny Tuesday morning today. It is beautiful! It's also the last day of school. We had our usual morning rush...get dressed, teeth brushed, breakfast eaten, pack up backpacks...you know the routine. Today was different though. It's the last day of 2nd grade for Kobe and the last day of preschool for Kyler (his first year). It's bittersweet. The end of the school year is always filled with mixed emotions for me. I'm excited about what the summer promises for all of us but when the school year ends it's just another reminder that they are growing up too fast.

This morning, as I sat writing notes to their teachers to thank each of them for all their hard work, I realized it was a GREAT year. Both boys excelled in their academic areas, each of them have a lot of friends and they both loved their teachers. It doesn't get much better than that!

For the last five years on the last day of school, after I've dropped Kobe off, I've shed a few tears. This year I didn't. I don't know why. It doesn't make the emotion any less though.

So, to end the year, we are having our annual last day of school celebration. It's not a party. It's just a cake! It's all about the cake. I order a cake from the bakery and sometimes we have friends come and share it with us and sometimes it's just us. This year it's just the family. It's a special end to another event in their lives. The cake has become a tradition for the first day and the last day of school each year. I hope it's something that the boys will always remember.

Yummy!


Here are some pics of Kobe and a couple of his buddies, the cake and my niece Mya.






3 comments:

  1. It breaks my heart that Kobe has spent a good part of this evening crying because he doesn't want second grade to end. What do I say? I don't want it to end either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet!! And I think I will steal your cake idea. I have been homeschooling mine for the last few years. This next year they will be going back to public school (Mommy needs a break!!). I think the cake idea will work wonderfully and make them feel more comfortable and happy about going. Next year, my oldest will be in 4th grade )last year he went to in public school was 1st), my oldest daughter will be in 2nd grade and my middle son (I have 5 kids) will begin kindergarten. I will only have 2 kids home with me during the day. I almost don't know what to do with all that time (2 after you are used to 5 is almost like a vacation!!). I am sure I will come up with fun stuff to do with the other two. I am glad your children enjoyed school so very much!! Kobe crying is too sweet!! I agree with him. I never wanted mine to end either...!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kelly. The cake has been a great idea at our house and I stole the idea from someone else a few years ago. I think you deserve a break! I admire anyone who can homeschool because I know it has to be hard. I miss your postings on your blog--I don't know how you get anything done though with 5 kids. I have a hard time with two - LOL!
    Have a great day.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.