Saturday, August 22, 2009

Reflections on the week...


Saturdays are such great days to slow down, relax, reflect on the past week, plan for the coming one plus get a few errands and projects done too. I'm enjoying this beautiful, cool and fall-like weather we're having in Missouri and the hummingbirds are going crazy. They have been at my feeder more in the past week than all summer. Hmmmm...wonder if that means they are getting ready to move on. I hope not...I'm not ready for them to go.

This past week I had two workshops at work. Part of my job is to organize the events we hold and there are many events this year. The two this past week are our biggest of the semester. They both went well overall with only a couple of minor hiccups at each one. Now on to post-workshop details and getting ready for the upcoming events and projects. Academic Year 2009-2010 has officially started for us now.

Kobe got to meet his 3rd grade teacher this week. Initially, he wasn't excited at all when he found out who his teacher was. He was really hoping to have the teacher who taught the scrap booking segment during summer school and she is great. However, when we got up to the classroom and actually met his new teacher and he saw that a few of his friends were in his class, he was much more excited. I'm pleased that she is a teaching veteran with 22 years of experience all in our school district. We also went to visit his teacher from last year and she didn't even recognize him he had grown so much. He loved her and we're both going to miss her but this year holds a lot of promise to be GREAT!

Now, on to the Baseball saga. Kobe was so excited to sign up for Fall Baseball because he loved Spring Baseball. Well, as it turns out he ended up on a team with kids all from another school and he doesn't know anyone and the coach is hardcore (as far as 8 year olds are concerned). He makes them do drills, run laps when they make mistakes and he takes it all very seriously. So seriously that he had practice last night, this morning, Sunday afternoon and Monday evening in addition to the other practices they've already had. The first game is Wednesday evening. All the practices and drills seem a little excessive but we're trying to roll with it. Kobe, however, is not enjoying it and just seems to be tolerating it. He has said he wants to quit. He hasn't even played the first game yet so he can't really judge this season fairly until that happens. I hope this experience doesn't ruin it for him...he is only 8 years old. What to do? What to do? Sometimes this parenting stuff is hard!

The rest of the weekend is mostly going to consist of hanging out, doing laundry, going to baseball practices and reading my new book, Bad Girls of the Bible by Liz Curtis Higgs. Sounds pretty good to me!

Hope your weekend is a good one.

6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I wouldn't know what to do about baseball. It seems like 8 yr olds should just be focusing on fun and good sportsmanship...maybe after the first game Kobe will really get into it and enjoy the more aggressive coaching style...hopefully! Keep us posted.
    Elle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo - bad girls of the Bible! I'll have to add that one to my Amazon wish list.

    Yes, parenting decisions-decisions. A rough one! Been in a similar spot, and to this day, I still think we made the wrong decision about baseball (so many years ago). But could it ever be "right"? Parenting - toughest job in the world, but most rewarding :) Good luck and keep us posted! -tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a funny note, at least for Kobe, even though he doesn't know the teammates as they are from another school, they are all boys. Chase has a class this year and he happens to be the only boy in it. The rest are girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, those were the days! my boys played baseball also and i do miss that terribly! i'm not sure i would have dealt very well with that kind of a coach for an 8 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time visiting; I came over from Flat Creek Farm. It's good to meet you! My husband and I did all the baseball with our boys. They loved it, but it can be pretty time-consuming with all the practices and games. Hope your son begins to enjoy it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Liz Curtis Higgs...I have read most of her humorous books...I think there is even a couple videos too. I have not read Bad Girls...sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.