Monday, January 4, 2010

Defining Moments...


I was sitting in the dark and quiet living room this morning and I heard him come down the hall and call out quietly to me. "Mom", he whispered. He was looking for me just like he does every morning when he wakes up. Every morning!

To be the one they want to see when they make their way from their bedrooms each morning is a gift. I am blessed! It's easy to take that kind of gift for granted but it's truly the best part of my day. A great start to my day is when I awaken early enough to spend time journaling and prayer with a great cup of coffee. There are many mornings when I'm engrossed in my writing or studying and I'll hear the footsteps coming down the hall and the whisper..."Mom"... and I'll groan to myself and think..."Oh, just 10 more minutes". But, then I see his face and he jumps onto my lap and wants to snuggle and I know it's time to set aside the journal and focus on my gift. My other gift usually comes along a little later in all his 9-year old gangley-ness and legs and wants to snuggle too...though not as often...

My gifts are from God and these moments are special...and fleeting...I know. Moments like these help me define my purpose...and know at least one reason I'm here on this earth.

14 comments:

  1. What a sweet post.

    I love when my little ones wake up and come to my bedside. Cutie will get in and snuggle with me for awhile, but Wild Child pulls on my foot and says "Mom get up...it's daytime." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wise and sweet post...

    And thank you for being understanding of my post of today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How true and so sweet! They really are a blessing. There are some days when I too wish I could have more time to myself but then I remind myself that that day will come too soon. Since they were babes I've always enjoyed the best that each age has to offer. There were no terrible twos or any other 'bad' ages for me. I just enjoy what each moment has to offer.

    Jackie, you are beautiful writer and I look forward to reading more as time allows you!

    Be well!
    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written, as always. And so sweet! I actually read this post earlier today, then I saw your FB button... and decided to 'fan' your blog on facebook. Which led me attempting to create a page for my blog... which led to me going so far off course and I don't even remember where I was headed.. LOL. So typical for me! I do look forward to many more Jackie posts this year!! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those days. Treasures indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is beautiful! I am going to hug my son right this minute!!!

    -Alisa Hope

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good reminder. At least you are already up when he calls ... I am always asleep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Jackie...

    What a great post. Thanks for stopping by Elegant Blessings to see me.
    My "baby boy" is 38 years old now. How I miss those mornings you wrote about. But just today he called me with a sore throat asking about some "downhome" remedies. They are such a blessing!

    We're fellow Capricorns too!! Today (the 6th) is actually my birthday.

    Again--glad to have found you. I'm down across the river from St Louis...over in the Illinois farmland.

    xoxoxo Annie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written. Sounds like we live parallel lives in the morning ;) LOL. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post today. I too am guilty of that "just 10 more minutes" and I think I'll look at that a little differently now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i always loved that i was here when my kids woke up in the morning also, it's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a precious post!!! I needed this reminder. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You write so beautifully! I remember those days...where did the time go? Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.