Thursday, November 4, 2010

Knowing Who My Father Is...Part 2


And so the story continues.  To read the part 1 click here.

Forgiveness.

Forgiveness was a conscious choice.  It didn't come easy for me but it did come...about 10 years ago.  I had to forgive my Dad to move on in my journey.  If I didn't forgive him I would have been stuck...stalled...and bitter.  Corrie ten Boom says it best,  "Forgiveness is to set a prisoner free, and to realize the prisoner was you."

For me, forgiveness was deciding that I couldn't change the past or change who my Dad was.  What I could do was accept the facts and move forward.  Forgiveness was part of the journey and took a long time before it was settled in my heart.  Forgiveness is what has helped me to be grateful for my experiences and to know that those experiences have shaped who I am today. 


Finding my true Father.  My Heavenly Father.


In the middle of the worst times of my journey...in the early years...I decided that there had to be something more than what I was feeling.  I kept searching and I found my Heavenly Father.  I didn't have a conversion experience.  I made a decision and decided to trust that there must be something more out there.  My faith came alive as I studied and prayed and my relationship with God flourished.  It continues to this day. 

After I examined my feelings of sadness that day that I had lunch with my friend, I was reminded that I have a Father who loves me.  That father is God. 

My earthly father...my Dad...may not be what I would hope for and that's okay.   God desires a relationship with me and that's all I need.

I also know that my Heavenly Father is my Strength (Isaiah 12:2), my Guide (Proverbs 3:6), my Counselor (Psalm 16:7) and my Strong Tower (Proverbs 18:10).  Just as a Father should be.

Until Next Time,
Jackie

*photo courtesy of flickr.com

5 comments:

  1. Forgiveness cleans our hearts..God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you for making that journey- and sorry that you had to. It's a hard, hard thing to forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie: beautifully put. You are a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie, Oh, how I wish we could sit over a cup of coffee and talk about this!

    Your insight is wonderful and as always, inspiring.

    Hugs ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.