Friday, June 10, 2011

I'm just Second Hand Rose From Second Avenue...

Early this morning I ventured out to my deck in PJ's with coffee and journal.  It was quiet except for the waking Cicadas who would soon be singing their very loud mating chorus and continue all day long. It was a nice cool morning.  Earlier this week I started working through a personal study of  Following God With All Your Heart (Believing and Living Gods Plan For You)I'm learning about the challenges Joshua faced and how he became successful.  The books I read by Elizabeth George speak to me and I find myself agreeing with so much of what she has to say.  One of the questions in today's study was:


Every Christian woman has many roles and responsibilities along with nurturing her relationship with the Lord. What are your daily responsibilities at this stage of your life?  And what does God expect you to take care of, regardless of the challenges?  List your job assignments from God?

Oh, I have no problem listing everything I'm responsible for. I have a lot on my plate just like most other women out there.  We have a lot to take care of each and every day.  You know the drill....housework, laundry, meal planning, meal preparation, grocery shopping, nurturing our families...and all this before I even leave the house for work each day.  You see, if I follow down this path, my frame of mind can turn negative very quickly.  Sometimes I feel like I'm everyone's Assistant or Support Person.  I feel like Second Hand Rose (from Funny Girl).  At work...I plan the events for our department.  I oversee the details of the venue, catering, speakers, advertising, payments, etc.  I'm behind the scenes...the support for the Stars of the Show.  At work and at home...I'm helping everyone else achieve what they are supposed to be doing in their lives.  Sometimes this is discouraging to me. When am I going to be the Star of the Show?  However, when I answer the question Elizabeth posed to me above, I realize that the support I'm providing to everyone in my life is exactly where I'm supposed to be right now.  My Season right now is one of Support and Encouragement.

Now about Joshua...the more I read about him the more I'm intrigued.  Here are a few things I've learned about him today:

  • He was the Assistant to Moses
  • He was given huge responsibilities
  • He wanted to be successful
  • Moses sent him out ahead to explore Canaan
  • He Shepherded Gods People

Joshua wasn't the Star of the Show!  He was the Assistant!

Joshua was given great responsibilities and God told him that he would always be there for him to not be discouraged!  

I have exciting opportunities in my life.  We all do...if we just know where to look and sometimes that means seeing what we already have.  I'm encouraged.  I know God has my back and He has a plan for me. 


Uplifted.

Jackie



**Note** Funny Girl is one of my all-time favorite classic movies.  Cute, Funny and Quirky.  Perfect movie for a Girls Night In.

7 comments:

  1. You're right, Jackie. Sometimes being assistant isn't what we desire, but sometimes that's where God wants us. Being in the center of God's will is always better! Great post!

    Have a great weekend!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! My sentiments exactly lately... but I do feel encouraged by this. Thanks for this uplifting message - it was needed. Have a very blessed weekend, Jackie!
    -Tammy (Another Tammy Commenter! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Friend~
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we have to choose between all the GOOD things in our lives and select out the BEST things for us to do at any given stage. A woman in my Church gave a talk a few years ago entitled "Good, Better Best" and I remember FINALLY feeling okay about saying "No" to good things that would be good to do because they interfered with my ability to devote time to the BEST things I should be doing. Oddly liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How often we wear so many different hats! How wonderful that the LORD is teaching you so many things from HIS word...HE is such a loving Heavenly Father. :)

    Hang in there and have a terrific week!

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very thought-provoking post. I will need to think about this more than once.

    'Uplifted" shines through in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great message, Jackie. I love the idea of putting it to song:) Makes my heart feel light. Best Supporting isn't such a bad place to be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.