Sunday, January 8, 2012

Time For A New Start...


These first few days after Christmas and New Years are good in so many ways for me.  I love the feeling of putting the Christmas Tree and all the decorations away (as much as I love them) and giving my home a good scrubbing.  Everything feels fresh and clean and uncluttered for the first time in several months.  I begin fall decorating in August and go right into the Christmas season.  Every year I enjoy the ritual of pulling out treasured items and finding just the right place for them.  I equally enjoy putting everything away.  January feels like a clean slate for me in all areas.

I've never been one to have a big party and celebrate on New Years Eve.  I enjoy pulling out my journal after everyone has gone to bed that night and start writing.  Sounds kind of lame and boring now that I see it in writing.  However, I really enjoy writing about how the previous year went for me and what I would like to change.  I guess I do make resolutions, but I think of them more in the terms of goals I'd like to accomplish throughout the coming year.  2011 was a challenging year.  There were moments of happiness and joy but there was a lot of sadness around several deaths beginning with my Grandpa West in April, our good friend Blake in May and our beloved dog Gracie in October.  My dear cousin Denise fought her battle with breast cancer the whole of year with most of it in chemotherapy.  She is doing great and I'm so proud of her!!

I feel like I lost focus for most of the year.  The things I enjoy the most, writing and gardening, were put aside as I coped with a life of being too busy.  We spent money we didn't have on things we didn't need and we're paying for it (literally) now.  Overall, I look forward to the coming year and the HOPE that I see in it.  I look forward to getting back to doing things I enjoy and being more aware of how we're spending our time and money. 


I've been tossing around the thought of a defining word for my life for 2012.  I've been thinking about it for a few weeks and one word keeps popping into my head....TRANSFORMATION!  I'm just now starting to think about what that means for me.  At first thought...I want to Transform my life into what I believe God has in store for me.  I want to take more time to listen to the small, quiet, nudgings that I get from Him when I take the time.  I don't know what Transformation will mean for me this coming year, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Jackie



4 comments:

  1. Just being in the moment and thinking about each purchase as in "do we really need this" all will work well. Trust God's guidance to see you through a healthy and happy New Year....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great word! I love doing the 'Word of the Year' thing then finding ways to make the word meaningful. Sounds like you've come up with a wonderfully versatile word!

    I, too, feel like I need a goal-writing session. In my single years I took the opportunity quite often to go out in nature and pray and meditate. It's hard to do that now with all my responsibilities but I'm hoping to find some quite time in there to set some long-term goals for the next decade of my life since I'm turning 40 this year! GAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a thoughtful post. I love that you take the time to think carefully about the coming year and what you want to accomplish - I do the same. Many of my friends are doing the same with choosing a 'word' for the new year. I think it makes more sense than making a resolution. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your writing in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Jackie! I think we all sometimes get so caught up in the day to day things we have to do, that we put off what we want to do. I have done that many times. I too am moving into 2012 with a renewed effort to focus on the simple things. Life is a gift and every day is precious, and I want everything I do in life to reflect that. I will be praying for God to show you His plan for you in 2012. I know it is a good plan! Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.