Friday, February 17, 2012

"Them's Fightin' Words" and Thoughts on Work Life...

I like Friday, don't you?  This Friday is the end of another busy week...they are all busy, though, aren't they?  Where I work, it's quiet.  Veeerrrryyy Quiet!  It's an old house on campus and we don't get a lot of traffic.  It's nice.  However, today, two of my co-workers got into an argument.  It doesn't happen often here...like in other places I've worked...the arguing and the tension.  We all work pretty well together and I'm thankful for that.  There had been some misunderstandings and miscommunication and today they let it loose...2 feet from my desk...minutes after I got to work.  It's out in the open now and they've explained their sides.  Time to move on...


I think it was about 15 years ago when I worked for another department on campus.  It was a dysfunctional place...or so I thought.  There was a lot of tension and not a lot of team building within the department.  I hated every minute of that job and went home many nights in tears.  I'm thankful for that job though.  I learned a LOT.  I learned to not take things personally.  I also learned how I did and didn't want to treat the people I work with.  I was meant to have that job...I can see that now.  When I left that department to take another job, I had a little talk with myself about my work life and how I was going to move forward.  I was not going to make the same mistakes or let people treat me the way I had been treated and I certainly wasn't ever going to treat people in that way either.   The number one lesson I took away from that job was that I wasn't going to be so invested in my work life that it interfered with my home life.  I wasn't ever going to go home in tears because of anger or frustration.  What I WAS going to do was go to work with a good attitude, do my job to the best of my ability, ask for help when I needed it and serve others whenever I could.  

15 years later and on mornings like this one I'm reminded...Attitude is everything!
 



Until Next Time,

Jackie

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for enjoying your work place...and for leaving it behind you when it's weekend time! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's just say TGIF!!
    3 day weekend and you can be away from all of that!
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree! I've had very little work place tensions at places I've worked but that could also be due to "selective obliviousness" or
    "chosen ignorance". I know there is some tension at my work between some of the secretaries but I stay WAY out of that! I'm everybody's work friend and I consider everybody to be mine. Yeah for weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, attitude is everything, that is having a positive and healthy attitude is everything. We can't control what happens around us, but we can control what happens within us. Good for you! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.