Thursday, December 6, 2012

Canning Jar Snowglobes...


Kyler and I had so much fun doing these.  I loved having my little craft helper working on these with me.  If you are looking for a simple gift idea to give to teachers, neighbors and friends this is perfect!





MATERIALS NEEDED:
  • Mason jars or any glass jar with a lid (I found wide-mouthed jars easiest to work with)
  • Distilled Water
  • Glycerin (Found at Michaels in the cake decorating section)
  • Coarse Glitter
  • E-6000 Glue or Epoxy glue, that dries clear and is waterproof
  • Stickers/Scrapbook Papers to decorate the lids (optional - we didn't do this)
  • Something cute to put in your jar (all plastic or resin - metal objects, like bottle brush trees, will rust)
    • Note:  We had a little trouble finding items to put in the jars.  We found the figurines at Dollar Tree (2 -3 per pkg. for $1.00).  Next time we will look for taller items
INSTRUCTIONS: 
  • Apply a generous amount of E-6000 glue to the bottom of your figurine and place on the inside of your lid.  You will need to allow this to dry for at least 24 hours.
  • Fill your jar almost to the top with distilled water.
  • Add a generous splash of glycerin to the water (I may have added too much as some of my glitter has been clumping).
  • Stir the glycerin and water to mix.
  • Add desired amount of glitter (we used a LOT - 6 year olds and 43 year old Moms like glitter)!
  • Run a generous amount of the glue around the rim of your lid.
  • Over a sink gently place the lid on your jar and screw on tightly.
  • Allow glue to dry for several hours before playing with Snow Globe. (Good Luck Waiting!)
  • HAVE FUN!





P.S.
You know how sometimes photos make something look a little better than real-life?  This time, however, I think the Snow-globes look much better in person than the photos show.


2 comments:

  1. What a sweet craft! And I especially like it that you had a little craft helper. :-) Making memories for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.