Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Love Dare...

I have started reading The Love Dare by Stephen and Alex Kendrick. Pat and I have been together for more than 20 years now. With the stresses of raising two boys, working full-time and maintaining a house and garden sometimes our marriage is put on the back-burner. That needs to change and I'm taking the first step. I bought the book a few weeks ago and it has sat on the shelf until today. I wasn't sure if I wanted to publicize my challenge on my blog but I decided that it might make me more accountable and that I would probably stick it out for the whole 40 days if I did. Pat doesn't know I'm doing this 40-day challenge but he will be the one to reap the benefits of my little adventure. It will be good for me too.

The beginning of the books says this:

Receive this as a warning. This forty day journey cannot be taken lightly.

It is a challenging and often difficult process, but an incredibly fulfilling one. To take this dare requires a resolute mind and a steadfast determination.

It is not meant to be sampled or briefly tested, and those who quit early will forfeit the greatest benefits. If you will commit to a day at a time for forty days, the results could change your life and your marriage.

Consider it a dare, from others who have done it before you.


So, here we go....

Day 1
Love is Patient

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love
Ephesians 4:2

Today's Dare
Resolve to demonstrate patience and to say nothing negative to your spouse at all. If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything. It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret.


Today's Outcome
I really thought about what I said to Pat all day before I would say it. There weren't any occasions where we had a disagreement but I still tried to be positive in everything I said to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog when you have so many other choices. I appreciate your comments.